Historically harsh winter slams region

By Morgan Bond and Eishna Ranganathan
Copy Editor and News Editor

This winter has taken a high toll on the East Coast, with the numerous storms received throughout Feb. along with the Polar Vortex during the week of Jan. 20 with record-setting low temperatures.

The snow, this season, has affected everyone in the community with the pain of shoveling, keeping warm and power outages, that could have lasted from five hours to five days.

On Feb. 3 the Langhorne area received eight inches, with a total of 14.5 inches in the season. On the night of Feb 4, the snow had frozen into ice due to a temperature drop in the night, making it hazardous for drivers and pedestrians.

As of late Wed. afternoon national flight cancellations exceeded 3,270 and flight delays topped 3,500. Multiple accidents along the Pennsylvania Turnpike occurred also and a state of emergency was declared.

In the storm that lasted from on Feb. 5 to Feb. 6, about 600,000 people had lost power due to the 6-10 inches of snow.

“I was without power for about five days. It was hard, but thankfully we had a generator, so we had heat. It could have been a lot worse without it,” sophomore Grace McCaughey said.

Some residents went to hotels for hear while others went to American Red Cross shelters across Montgomery and Bucks County.

On Feb.9 there was also a brief period of snow in the late afternoon, creating a layer of two inches, relatively little compared to the previous week.

Feb. 13 was another snow day for Neshaminy School District as well as a delay on Feb.14. Changes in the school schedule have resulted due to the eight snow days that occurred, As of Feb. 14.

On March 5, April 14, April 15 and April 16 school will be in session for students and teachers.