NHS presents “Spamalot!”

The Lady of the Lake, Lea Newman, emerging from a circle of dancers.
Andrew Kim

Since December, the Theodore Kloos Auditorium has been packed with Neshaminy High School (NHS) students singing, dancing, and acting in preparation to perform the Tony Award-winning musical comedy “Monty Python’s Spamalot”!

The musical takes place in Medieval England and follows the story of King Arthur played by NHS Senior Cameron Krauss on his quest to find the Holy Grail in Camelot. On his journey, he is accompanied by his servant Patsy and The Knights of the Round Table. Throughout the story, he encounters various characters, some friendly like Lady of the Lake and Prince Herbert, and some harsh, like killer rabbits and vicious Frenchmen.

This show is directed by NHS Choir Director Kristin Nichols and NHS Drama Director Gina Chiolan, who have experience putting on musicals such as “The Music Man”, “Something Rotten!” and “Little Shop of Horrors” which have been truly adored by both the Neshaminy Community and wider audiences like the Bucks County Playhouse previously. Nichols shared what inspired her to pick ‘Spamalot” as this year’s show.

“I chose ‘Spamalot’ because I saw the original show on Broadway and I thought it would be a fun show that would fit the students that we have very well, ” Nichols explained.

Throughout December and January, the cast, crew, and directors have been meeting to rehearse every day after school and on some weekends leading up to show week.

Though “Spamalot” is silly, lighthearted, and far different from other NHS musicals performed in the past, all involved are still brought together every year with the same seriousness and dedication, no matter the musical. With many hours of rehearsing and preparation, the process has induced growth in some performers, like NHS senior Lea Newman, who plays Lady of the Lake.

“The cast, our amazing directors and crew have given me such an amazing opportunity to be myself, express my creativity and push me as an actress in ways that I’ve never been pushed before,” Newman explained. “My favorite part is honestly everything, this whole process has all just been so good to me, and I will forever be grateful for this experience,” Newman said, “Sometimes it doesn’t feel real that we are able to do such a great show like Spamalot.”

Needless to say, “Spamalot” has a special place in the hearts of all directors, cast, and crew; the love and hard work put into this production shows in each and every performance.

“I cannot wait for people to see it, it’s been so incredibly fulfilling to be a part of such a crazy production,” Newman mentioned. “I can’t wait to just show people how hard we worked.”