Athlete of the Issue: Reese Zemitis

Athlete of the Issue: Reese Zemitis
Trish Sexton

Neshaminy High School senior Reese Zemitis is captain of the girls basketball team and Red Team’s Gym Night color captain. Even with all of these leadership commitments, she continues to be a straight A student and break long-standing school records.

When asked about her time spent as captain for both basketball and gym night Zemitis sentimentally replied, “I would do it over and over again.”

Not only has Zemitis taken on the role of captain of the women’s basketball team, she also hit her career milestone of scoring 1,000 points at the home game against Lansdale Catholic on Dec. 13, 2023.

“Being able to accomplish scoring 1,000 points brought me so much excitement and happiness,” Zemitis said.

“Going into the game knowing I could get my 1000th point came with a lot of pressure and nerves, but having [family and friends] there in support of me made me feel so supported.”

Recently, Zemitis also broke Neshaminy High School’s all-time scoring record for girl’s basketball and the record for the most points scored in a single game with 35 points.

In April of her junior year, Zemitis committed to Bucknell University, a Division 1 school for women’s basketball, to study and further her basketball career.

Zemitis explained that committing early “released so much pressure” off her shoulders and allowed her to “play so freely.”

Of course, being the Red Team color captain and basketball captain, while keeping a high GPA, comes with its challenges, but Zemitis elaborates on ways to control the stress.

“Being a color captain this year, people ask me how I’m going to do it, I never really have a straight forward answer other than I’m going to get it done,” Zemitis commented, “Being color captain is such a huge responsibility and not a lot of people know how much actually goes into it.”

When asked if she had any advice for younger students and underclassmen, Zemitis responds with pride and hope for younger and future Neshaminy High School students.

“You’re able to get it done with the right work ethic,” Zemitis said. “It’s okay to also feel drained from all of it, but to just stay focused on why you even started doing all of it in the first place.”