JROTC: Military program provides opportunity

Look at it our way is the unsigned editorial, which represents the view of the editorial board.

“To Motivate Young People to Be Better Citizens,” that is the motto of the US Army JROTC program. Neshaminy used to have a JROTC program from the mid 60’s to mid 70’s but was, however, withdrawn due to low enrollment of the Vietnam War. That was decades ago and the school board should re-implement JROTC at Neshaminy High School.
The fact of the matter is people have been talking about JROTC at Neshaminy for years, whether it is a letter to the editor that was published in the Playwickian in 1973 or at a public board meeting in 2001. Neshaminy has always maintained a great relationship with the armed forces; recruiters can be seen in the hallways and at football games.

For those unfamiliar with JROTC, it would not only would it be a class, but would include after school activities. Students are not only taught leadership skills but are assigned them. Students are assigned ranks and will rise up through them according to how long they’ve been in the program. JROTC will also keep students in shape and give them a sense of purpose.

Even though the program was abandoned the Army should reexamine the high school and conduct a survey. After seeing that the student body would be more than willing to participate in this wonderful program, the school board and superintendent would then have the opportunity to decide whether or not to have army JROTC at Neshaminy.

There is the issue of finding someone to teach this class, but the Army assists in compensating the teacher therefore Neshaminy only has to pay part of the teacher’s salary. The Army provides each JROTC unit with uniforms and other instructional materials. Not only does JROTC promote physical fitness, but good morals.

The creed of an Army JROTC cadet states that “I do not lie, cheat or steal and will always be accountable for my actions and deeds, and I will always practice good citizenship and patriotism.” The Army JROTC program has been teaching high school students good morals and keeping them in shape since its formation in 1916 with 6 units. It has now expanded to 1,645 schools in every single state in the United States and even overseas in United States territories for a total of 281,000 cadet’s total.

JROTC provides students interested in serving in the Army with an opportunity to better prepare themselves; both physically and mentally. However, participating in JROTC does not require you to join the Army after high school. Parents might argue that we shouldn’t encourage our children to join the Army, and go overseas to fight and possibly die for their country.

The Army JROTC program will benefit students greatly and should fit well in Neshaminy. Recruiters can be seen walking the halls at Neshaminy, the cafeteria and at Neshaminy football games talking to students about their future. I believe that the Army JROTC program should be re-established at Neshaminy High School, it will help students work toward a brighter future.