Sanctuary room needs to return

*The unsigned editorial represents the view of the Playwickian editorial board*

School. Work. Relationship problems. These are just some of the stresses that impact teenagers’ lives. With so much going on, students can become overwhelmed — in some cases, unstable. Even something physical such as a chemical imbalance can cause depression.

Neshaminy High School once had a tool to help students with mental health issues, or students who needed guidance. The Sanctuary Room was a peaceful place where students in crisis could go to speak with a counselor if they were feeling down or overwhelmed. The room is no longer staffed due to budget cuts.

The Sanctuary Room was created in 2006 as part of the District Strategic Action Plan by a committee of administrators, staff, teachers and community members. It was considered very important and more than $100,000 was allocated to the project that year alone. The Sanctuary Room was created in response to several suicides that occurred in the 2004 and 2005 school years.

After only six years, however, the plan was set to expire, and due to budget restraints, the Sanctuary Room fell out of existence, along with several guidance counselors and social worker positions. With fewer resources, the Guidance Department cannot help students going through trouble as much as they had just two years ago.

Yes, the district needs to save money. However, the Sanctuary Room is important to student health. The mental and emotional well being of Neshaminy students should not be a nickels-and-dimes issue. Neshaminy’s ability to help those with emotional and psychological problems will be inadequate until the Sanctuary Room counselor is reinstated.

Another great feature missing in recent years is a suicide prevention or awareness program. A few years ago Neshaminy used to have a Suicide Awareness Week, called Yellow Ribbon Week. The event, sponsored by the Students Against Destructive Decisions club, included an assembly and many activities throughout the week.

While students are taught about suicide warning signs and prevention in health class, the school must take a more direct and active role in prevention. Something like a Suicide Prevention Week or Yellow Ribbon Program would help greatly.

The entire Neshaminy community, Guidance and the Student Assistance Program especially, did a great job in responding to the recent tragedies at Neshaminy High School, but a more permanent and proactive fixture is necessary. It is time for the school to bring back suicide prevention programs, and most importantly a full-time counselor to staff the Sanctuary Room.