World’s safe haven turns into nightmare

By Brianna Rayner
Op-Ed Editor

As the sun kissed the stunning city of Houston, Texas farewell; the moon has grown to be the only serenity remaining for a young, humble, in particular soul. As he lay in his single bed of his buttoned up dorm room, the innocent disorder has begun taking full control of his mind and actions. He shortly began pondering about, in sever panic. He believed it was best for him to seek medical attention immediately, and took it upon himself to attempt to drive to the hospital… The hallucinations made it extremely difficult for him to be aware of his whereabouts. Do to that he managed to safely arrive at the hospital with only hitting a few cars in the parking lot.

He was taken in immediately for overnight monitoring when noticed by the shocked hospital staff. As time intensely kept slowly dragging on to the puzzled patient he continued lacking a psychiatrist attention for bipolar disorder. He began to be delusional and vigorously uncooperative for the staff. Shortly after that security was called to the scene. The innocent, non-aggressive patient ended up brutally tasered, shot and hand cuffed that night. On the bright side, he was lucky enough to have spared a second chance at this beautiful, rare life we are lucky to be given. This issue is surprising very common in the United States. Most people just unfortunately don’t truly see the true tragedy behind this issue.

This acquitted man in particular, Alan Pean just so happens to also be African American. This makes the situation a tab bit sketchier, due to the fact that, according to mappingpoliceviolence.com, “Police killed at least 103 unarmed black people in 2015, nearly twice in a week.”

Many police officers let their beliefs interfere with their duty, resulting in a lack of pure justice being served and also virtuous people getting injured or in most cases killed. Some cops take it upon themselves to believe that African Americans are somehow always guilty, and deserving of the abuse they are given. This is absolutely discriminating, and disgraceful. The innovative concern is: cops and security having weapons that have the potential to kill people, due to the recent examples of them taking a broad advantage of their power to serve “justice.” Is it really necessary to carry around armed weapons in a hospital?

I personally think that it is very strange that they have the need to carry around an armed weapon. I could understand if they carry around a taser, (or something that can impermanent halt someone from doing foolish actions, etc.). But a gun is basically going straight to murder.

Pean, was unintentionally doing wrong by undressing and walking into the hallways. He obviously didn’t deserve getting shot once so ever. For instance if they had a taser at the scene and deprived of a gun, the security would have no other choice but to use that against him. This would have been expectable if he was uncontrollable. Of course it is upsetting this situation even occurred to him, but the taser wouldn’t have threatened his life like the bullets did.

I understand that irrational occurrences happen in public places, like mass shootings, etc. and they must have some sort of protection… And that I believe should be metal detectors, and gun locked away and hidden in the area. It may be more intricate, but if that is what needs to be done to keep blameless