Prom severely overrated

By Lea Hartley

It’s the end of high school and the seniors are eager, anxious, optimistic, or overwhelmed with the new life that they will experience. Graduation is creeping up, but first, Prom. It’s the last dance they will ever experience as a group of high school students before moving on. They all know what prom is, the elegant dress, the perfect date, the thousands of pictures our parents force us to take. But is this really worth the hype?

“Last year at junior prom there was barely any room to walk or dance because the area we were in was so packed,” said an anonymous Neshaminy High School senior. “Everyone either shows up to the place drunk, or they sneak alcohol in.”

“Honestly my favorite part about the night was taking pictures,” an anonymous Neshaminy alumni said. “My date was horrible.”

Promposals frequently happen at Neshaminy High School around this time. A promposal is a public and elaborate way of asking a date to go to prom. The average cost of promposals last year in 2015 was $324, according to USA Today.

Almost every high school movie has a scene about prom. However, Prom is not as perfect as it is on a screen. It is unlikely anyone will marry their date. Someone else might wear that dress. Not everyone’s crush will ask them to go with them. A random person won’t heroically be crowned prom king or queen. And someone won’t embarrass themselves enough to become the laughing stock of the school. Yes, prom is definitely not like it is on TV.

People should not get their expectations up too high since prom is just a glorified dance. It can obviously be a wonderful night, but it won’t be perfect. Besides, it’s not Prom that will be the most memorable moment from high school, it will be the thousands of others created with friends over these past four years.