Look at it Our Way: block scheduling helps long-term learning

It happens every year, a process formally known by the education system as “course selection,” during which students determine the path of their upcoming year. At Neshaminy, the current schedule is set up such that students take eight courses over four marking periods on a six-day rotation. In neighboring school districts and states, the schedule is set up such that students take four courses over two semesters on a six-day rotation dubbed “block scheduling.”

The merits of this type of education experience school boards have debated widely and Neshaminy too should consider its implementation. Far too many students are short changed on time on a daily basis between extracurriculars and then six-classes worth of homework to squeeze in on a five-hour period. Far too many assignments are completed during homeroom, the last few minutes of lunch or during another class. Perhaps if students had only four classes to attend per day, less of a burden would be placed upon them afterschool and they would develop a greater sense of time management.

The college admissions process also plays in instrumental role in what classes students choose to pursue and the attached workload and the attached state of mental health for the corresponding year. If a student wanted to pursue higher level classes, but was worried about balancing it with athletic or artistic involvement, block scheduling would enable him/her to indulge in both the academic and co-curricular experience with reduced stress.

From the learning perspective, longer classes mean extended focus on a specific topic and better retention of information beyond just the Advanced Placement exam. Teachers would also have a more personalized approach toward lessons and interaction with students; since they only receive four-classes worth of tests and paperwork to grade a greater amount of time exists to make comments and invest energy per essay.

In the twenty-first century, education reforms have occurred throughout the nation as several educators and researchers have studied what is the best way to shape a classroom in modern day with the presence of technology. The presence of block scheduling benefits the quality of lectures and fosters discussion-based learning based on longer class periods and less stress on students so more of their attention is directed toward the lesson.

***Editors’ note: Other variations to block scheduling include four classes per day alternated every other day over four marking periods or taking three courses daily over three trimesters
This editorial represents the majority view of the editorial board with 6-9 editors in agreement

This editorial represents the majority view of the editorial board in a 6-9 vote