Most Recent Form of Discrimination against Body Modifications

By Brianna Rayner
Op-Ed Editor

Ever since Sally took her very first gasp of air, it has been a relentless tussle to survive. She was born into very poor family; the sight of their glorious mansion couldn’t blind the outsiders from seeing their struggle to disguise themselves as the faultless family on the block. With four lost kids and a heart broken mother still waiting for her spouse to return; things weren’t looking so bright for Sally and her family.

As the years went on Sally was forced to grow up fast and take on the role of a considerate mother, because her own was too plastered to do so. Sally was beginning to form into the glue that held the family from really collapsing. When Sally was finally of age, she got her dream tattoo of a moth on her hand so it’s visible to her, and everyone to see. The tattoo had a very beautiful meaning that she held close to her heart. The moth symbolized metamorphosis (the process of transformation from a broken, immature form to a strong, independent form.)

Sally worked hard in school, and strained to make things better for herself. When it was time for her to start her career, she was judged on her masterpiece, instead of her talents. It was almost impossible to find a place that would truly accept her.

A tattoo is a form of body modification, made by inserting ineradicable ink into the dermis layer of the skin to change the pigment. According to https://www.linkedin.com “because of an archaeological discovery in an ancient cave in Spain, history of tattoos can be traced back to over 40,000 years when people used bone needles to scrape color patterns in the skin.”

“People get a tattoo for different reasons. Some people get them for the art or as a memorial. Some get them as a way to express their personality and passions. And some get them just because they look pretty” (metro.co.uk).

At our day and age I can honestly say, tattoos are very common; but on the other hand, those people are often “judged and frowned upon” because of it. I personally never understood why, to me tattoos is an art and also a perfect way to express your story, style, etc.

The fact that tattoos are scowled upon in the work environment is unfair and is discrimination at its finest. For example: let’s say an A plus, tatted up student wanted to be a doctor, and didn’t get hired, just because he had obvious tattoos. But the person with straight B’s would get hired instead, because he had dull, empty skin.

I just don’t see how the tattoos would have an actual effect on how good or bad of a doctor he is. To me its discrimination; judging someone by their tattoos is just as bad as treating someone differently because of their race, religion, gender, etc.

According to English teacher from Neshaminy High School, Sean Daly, “I personally don’t think tattoos define a person.” Daly himself, has 2 tattoos, and also has his own thoughts and opinions about the matter… He personally feels as if professional chiefs shouldn’t have extensive amount of tattoos near their hands, etc due to the fact that if their tattoos were done in an unsanitary matter, it could possibly affect the food they are preparing.

People fought for equality of gender, race, etc. And now I believe it’s time to stand up for the misjudgment of people with tattoos.