‘American Horror Story: Coven’ bewitches students in Neshaminy

By Jessica McClelland
Staff writer

“American Horror Story: Coven” is a mind twisting series on FX written by Ryan Murphy. It’s currently on its third season, Coven. Unlike the first and second seasons, this one is about powerful witches and their journeys. But it’s not happy and fun like “Sabrina the Teenage Witch”; it is a lot more dark and devious.

This season starts off with teenager Zoey, finding out she has special powers. She gets sent off to a school for witches, but this isn’t Hogwarts. The school is run by an older witch, Cordelia, who is also the daughter to the head witch, Fiona. There she meets teenage witches Queenie, Nane, and Madison.

Kyle, the local college frat boy, is one of the favorites in the show. “Kyle is my favorite because he always plays a mysterious psychopath but he always has a sweet spot for a girl… and he’s cute,” sophomore Brittnee Hughes said.

“Coven” is unlike any other show on air right now. It’s not about doctors, high school, or a scandal. It’s a good horror movie formatted into a TV series. It gives witches a much darker appeal than what most people are used to and the show is constantly pushing boundaries of what can be aired on television.

Although the show is very graphic at some parts, it is very well put together and has an interesting story line. “Anything Ryan Murphy does is fantastic. Take Glee for an example,” 15-year-old Miranda Lutrario said.

“American Horror Story:Coven” is on every Wednesday at 10 p.m. It is a show that will keep anyone at the edge of their seat by the end of the night. “It’s my favorite show,” sophomore and American Horror Story fanatic, Alyssa McCready, said. “It’s so spontaneous and different than all the other shows I’ve seen.”