‘Game of Thrones’ : New season to premiere after shocking season finale

By Dan Cho

Fans of all kinds enthusiastically wait for season four of the second most watched TV show in networking history, “Game of Thrones”. Fans of all kinds eagerly wait for the upcoming season in spring. This season, like the other three seasons, is supposed to have 10 episodes, totaling 10 hours of programming time. According to TV Fanatic, Game of Thrones earns a 4.5 out of 5.

Much of the cast will have the same actors such as everyone’s favorite dwarf, Tyrion Lannister, who will be played by Peter Dinklage. King Joffrey Baratheon also one of the most hated characters in the show, will be played by Jack Gleeson again. However, some characters such as Prince Tommen Baratheon will no longer be played by Callum Wharry, instead, he will be played by Dean-Charles Chapman.

Actors such as Chapman are replaced to show the physical changes the characters in the show acquired from bodily and mental toll they have endured. The change in the cast will create some confusion on identifying the actors on the screen. This confusion may mislead the viewers on figuring out which role the new actors are playing.

The plot of Game of Thrones shows a great deal of maturity and connections to modern times. There is a great deal of character development and shows the obstacles of medieval times everyone learned from seventh grade history class. There are seven great families of the mythical land: Westeros; it is a war involving backstabbing, alliances, and assassinations in order to accomplish their ultimate goal: supreme rule over the mythical land Westeros.
The show is extremely bloody and the languages they use is very modernized but of course, they do not leave anything out that might offend or disturb the viewers. The most famous scene of such is the Red Wedding of which the bride, groom, and their families were massacred by two traitorous men, Walder Frey and Roose Bolton.
The author of the series, screenwriter, and television producer, George R.R. Martin, purposely made the books and the TV show unpredictable. One of the heroes, Robb Stark, who strived to become king, was killed. “The next predictable thing is to think his eldest son is going to rise up and avenge his father. And everyone is going to expect that. So immediately [killing him] became the next thing I had to do,” Martin said on Entertainment Weekly.

Teacher and viewer Glenn McKee said, “What hooked me onto the show were the character development and the setting. The setting helped set the mood and the producers did a nice job of that.”

Senior Matthew Deegan, a passionate fan of the show, agrees with McKee on the powerful force Game of Thrones has on viewers. Deegan also believes the show is so popular from the many links it draws from reality, especially human society and traits. “It has many different qualities. Who can you trust? Betrayal. The different classes. Rich and poor. And you watch one episode and it just drags you in wanting more,” Deegan said.

Students and staff members are not the only ones enthusiastic for season four. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the show is “addictive and outstanding” while the Washington Post labeled them as “masterful.”

The first debut episode will be on HBO on Mar. 14, 2014. Fans of the show including McKee and Deegan, clearly show that there is no age barrier of this sort of program; maturity and realization of not only the prospering folks but the struggling individuals of today is undoubtedly symbolized by each and every character of the show. Game of Thrones is not just an entertaining TV series, but life lessons captured on major motion pictures.