Sexual education shouldn’t be taught in early childhood

By Erin Coyle

Sexual education is the subject almost every student is forced to learn about at some point. The big question is how early is too early when it comes to talking about sex?
The Chicago Board of Education has recently passed a new policy that requires sexual education to begin in Kindergarten. This policy is part of a new makeover of the whole sexual health program which will, within the next two years, require sex-ed to be taught in every grade.
“Under the new policy, the youngest students – the kindergartners — will learn the basics about anatomy, reproduction, healthy relationships and personal safety,” stated an article on ABCnews.com posted on February 28th states “From the fifth through the 12th grade, the emphasis will be on reproduction, the transmission and prevention of HIV/AIDS, and other sexually-transmitted diseases, bullying and contraception, including abstinence.”
In the Neshaminy school district the basics like sexual anatomy and HIV are first introduced in 5th grade and continued up until 8th grade when students get a more in depth education on sex topics like pregnancy, STI’s, and the benefits of remaining abstinent. Finally in their sophomore year students continue their sexual education in a large segment of the required health class.
“I think sexual education is very important because it’s something almost every student will need to know to stay safe later in life” Stated health teacher Don Palmer stated.
Of course sexual education is a very important part of the curriculum. Students need to know the risks of being sexually active, but is it really necessary for five year olds to be taught about it? Will teaching kids earlier really help them?
“I think forcing kids to learn about sexual education in kindergarten isn’t a good thing to do because it’s taking away part of their childhood,” Sophomore Summer Santoro said, “I still believed in the stork dropping babies on the door step at that age”
“It’s best to start talking with children about sexuality in early childhood,” stated an article posted on plannedparenthood.org.
The problem is talking to them too early we’re taking away their childhood, but if we don’t we’re risking them being unknowledgeable, which is an even bigger problem.