FCS: program worth keeping for the future

In the past few years, Neshaminy has seen many programs cut or threatened with cuts. Programs such as physical education and foreign language were put on the chopping block, and became unavailable for some grades.
Unfortunately, another program is being threatened, the Family Consumer Science courses in the middle schools, but this is time it is not for financial reasons. According to Superintendent Robert Copeland, the cuts will serve to change the education in the middle schools, and put more of a focus on public speaking, debate, and other learning skills.
“We have a strong high school program. Our concern is if they cut the middle school program then we won’t have as strong of a program,” said high school FCS teacher Kelly MacCauley
These skills are taught in many of the core classes. FCS in the middle schools show students the opportunity available to them in the high school, and develops “real-life” skills and teaches important lessons, such as nutrition, health, and even fin literacy. It is for these reasons that FCS should not be cut in the middle schools.
The district is trying to put emphasis on new areas of education in the middle school level. While FCS will still be offered at the elementary and high school levels, it will be replaced in the intermediate level with classes that emphasize public speaking and other critical thinking skills.
The problem with that is that through presentations in class, and various class discussions, these skills are already being developed. Teachers should not be fired to devote more time to skills already being taught.
FCS had an even brighter future. In September 2013 an actual in-school bank was planned to be open at Poquessing Middle School, teaching students financial literacy and giving them the opportunity to bank money. This program would teach one of the most valuable lessons available in school.
The FCS program touches on many skills that other classes can’t, many real-life, applicable skills. FCS classes are valuable to the middle school education, and should not be cut for debate and critical thinking classes, skills taught in many other classes.