Twelve dead after Thousand Oaks shooting

Back to Article
Back to Article

Shooter Ian David Long// photo courtesy of the DMV

Andy Nguyen, Managing Editor

A shooting took place at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, Calif on Nov. 7. At least 12 people were killed in the attack, including police officer Sergeant Ron Helus, and approximately 22 others were injured. The community was left in a state of shock after the gunman opened fire on the packed Southern Californian bar.

Before Marine Corps veteran Ian David Long opened fire, he threw a smoke bomb into the club, presumably to disorient everyone inside. When the shooting began, Long first fired at the security outside the building. He then entered the club and fired at employees, security, and patrons. According to witnesses, he did not appear to have an intended target. His motives are still unknown.

Over 100 people were present at the bar the night of the shooting for “college country night”. When the officer, Sergeant Ron Helus, arrived on the scene, he ran inside in an attempt to save others. Members of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Office responded saying that if Helus did not rush into the bar when he did, the death toll could have been much higher than 12. Among the 12 individuals that lost their lives, four have been identified.

For some survivors, this was their second time surviving a shooting. Just over a year before, a shooting occurred at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival in Las Vegas, Nev. As survivors fled the scene, those that were at the music festival recalled the stories from the first shooting.

Long committed suicide after the shooting. According to Ventura County officials, Long took his life when police confronted him after the attack. Police identified the weapon as a .45-caliber handgun with an extended magazine, both legally purchased by Long.

Long had previously been reported to the police in Newbury Park, Calif. in April. After an evaluation from mental health specialists, Long was deemed to be suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder due to his time in the U.S. Marine Corps. The specialists also believed that Long was not a threat to himself or others.

This shooting marks the 307th mass shooting that took place in the U.S. this year. With almost as many mass shootings as days in the year, the debate regarding gun reform and control continues to heat up as people globally question when the mass shootings will come to an end.

• Twelve dead after Thousand Oaks shooting

News

Native American Antagonized by High School Students

• News

Kamala Harris Kicks off Presidential Campaign

News

Crossfire: PHRC

News

Trump Administration Pursues Transgender Military Ban

• News

Government Shutdown; What Happened?

• News

Unresolved: Neshaminy versus the PHRC

News

Stanley Martin Lieber

News

William Dean Naulls

News

Stephen McDannell Hillenburg

News

Kenneth Ronald Berry