Neshaminy senior baffles art crowd

By Gauri Mangala
Features Editor

Meet Betsy Tigreros. A senior, the 18 year old has already established herself as one of the top artistic talents at Neshaminy High School. Her paintings have been recognized throughout the school for years.

Other than art, Tigreros works with special needs kids and volunteers at the activities at school held for them. She also is a part of yoga club, interact club, and string orchestra, as a viola player, as well as a accomplished mixed martial artist.

Tigreros is involved in the art club at Neshaminy and has begun selling her personal works, along with her sister in a business that the two have created. Called “JBcuriousmax,” the pair have slowly begun opening up the business, occasionally taking orders for Christmas and birthday presents.

Tigreros, a hopeful nursing major, hopes to minor in art, as well as continue to sell her personal works.
Q: So how did you get into art?
A: I got into art because of my parents. My mom used to work making pop out artwork and my dad made sculptures and I was just always interested in it, I’ve been drawing ever since I was little I loved it.

Q: What is your favorite type of art to create?
A: My favorite type of art would be painting and watercolor, I completely lose myself in what I am doing and relax and blast music and don’t think about anything else and you get to express who you are in the canvas like it doesn’t have to look exactly like the picture and I love the challenge.

Q: How do you know when a piece is finished?
A: When I feel like I’m happy with the piece.

Q: What inspires you for your artwork?
A: Colors, my life, other art works, people and animals.

Q: What does art mean to you?
A: It’s everything, it’s a way of expressing yourself, it allows me to be patient and not so stressed with my life.

Q: Do you want to continue with art in college and for a career?
A: Well I already have been selling my art, last year I was nominated for student of the month or week or something because of it so I definitely went to continue doing something with art. I want my major to be nursing and have my minor as art.

Q: Tell me more about selling your art if you could.
A: My sister and I started it last year because everyone wanted a painting so the company kind ofjust happened out of nowhere. We called it “JBcuriousmax” J for my sister’s name and B for mine. Curious because Curiosity is what lead us to try and sell our art and see how it would go. Max because my dog was always up in our business when we painted. For a while we’ve been holding out putting the business out like we’ve made an Instagram account but because we’re so busy with work and school we’re not able to do too much but one in a while we’ll take a request, actually recently I got a request to do a portrait for a Xmas present.

Q: Which artists do you look up to?
A: I look up to Van Gogh and Leonid Afremov. Omg their work is amazing. Van Gogh’s art work is different, the way he does he’s style and technique of doing art is interesting and Leonid Afremov’s art work is very colorful and not a lot of detail but enough to still able to see what the picture is and it’s just beautiful.