World Language Month celebrated

By Tim Cho
Student Life and Web Editor

March is World Language Month at Neshaminy and the World Languages Department is in full swing. The World Language Competition is the annual competition that encourages and promotes cultural diversity and understanding—this year it was held at William Tennent High School.

Various events were available for different levels of skill; students in the first and second tier of language participate in a culture, spelling, and grammar-related question-and-answer style of competition against teams from other competing schools.

Students in the third level are paired up with students from other schools and are given 15 minutes to prepare a presentation for judges that will critique them based on conservation skills, fluency and grammar.

The competitors in the fourth, fifth, and Advanced Placement level of world language are put on debate teams with students from other schools and must defend a topic given to them. With a certain amount of preparation time the teams must form and argue a defense to a group of judges.

The World Language Chairperson, Cara DeLorenzo-Palka, showed great enthusiasm for the competition and her students who participated. It offers a setting where students are able push out of their comfort zones. As a result, “Students see for themselves that they are capable of much more than they thought and they did not let the fear stop them from putting themselves in that vulnerable position to speak Spanish or French in a competitive environment,” DeLorenzo-Palka said.

Sophomore Shelly Davidson took part in the Spanish two level competition and now feels more comfortable in class. “I think it helped me realize that maybe I don’t need to be so nervous to speak the language in class or outside of class because everyone makes mistakes,” she said.

The purpose of the competition is to promote diversity, understanding and passion for the world languages. Students entered the competition eager and left with more knowledge of their foreign language. “After students finish, they are so proud of their accomplishment and are able to see how well they can speak the language,” DeLorenzo-Palka said.

World Language Month at Neshaminy has reflected in students being excited for Spanish and French. Sophomore Nikol Davidson, partaker in the Spanish two competition, believes that, “You get to be proud of your achievements! Whether you win first place or third you always know you tried your best.”