Athlete of the Issue: Emeer Coombs

Olivia Hughes, Sports Editor

The ability of an athlete to perform under pressure is greatly admired by coaches, teammates, and fans. Junior Emeer Coombs, who is an integral player for the Neshaminy High School’s Varsity Basketball team, was able to do just that while competing against Bensalem’s boy’s basketball team on December 22, 2022.
During the first period of overtime, the clock was running down with the game still tied. When the team needed it the most, Coombs sank two foul shots, winning the game with no time left on the clock.
Coombs had a clear agenda on what he wanted to accomplish at the free throw line.
“I just thought I had to make these free throws because if we went into another overtime, I was not going to be able to make it,” Coombs said. “At the free throw line, I made the first one, so I was happy because at least I tied it. There was no way we were going to lose.”
As soon as the basketball went through the hoop, Coombs fell to the ground, proud of himself for helping his team win.
“We were all just happy,” Coombs recalled. “In the locker room, it was great. There was water being thrown everywhere, everyone was screaming. That’s a memory that is going to stick with me forever.”
Coombs continued to emphasize just how much he loves being around his fellow teammates, and how much of an impact they have on him.
“My favorite part of basketball is definitely winning and being in the locker room with your team,” Coombs said. “It’s the best feeling ever, especially after a big rivalry game. For example, after we beat Pennsbury, the locker room is just so fun to be around with your teammates and enjoying the moment.”
Every great athlete has to start somewhere. Coombs started with different sports until he settled on basketball.
“I started playing basketball in the fourth grade,” Coombs said. “When I was younger, I played a bunch of sports. I played football, baseball and soccer. I really just started playing a lot of sports, because I love playing.”
Not only does Coombs exhibit an immense talent for basketball, his dedication and passion is unmatched by any other player. When asking Coombs about his favorite basketball memory, he looks back on a time when he was playing in an AAU league outside of school.
“I was the worst kid on my team,” Coombs said. “I didn’t get any minutes in the game. I came to every practice and worked hard. In the beginning of the season, I just didn’t play at all because I was the worst. I just kept playing and waited for my opportunity when that day would come. The first time I played after that, I became a starter for the rest of the year.”
Coombs has proved time and time again that he is willing to work hard to achieve greatness for the sport that he loves.
“Once I played basketball, I knew that this was going to be my sport,” Coombs said.