Winter concert took high school by musical storm

By Tim Cho
Student Life and Web Editor

On Jan. 15 2014, Theodore Kloos Auditorium at Neshaminy High School present its annual winter holiday concert. The wind ensemble led by Michael Lipton, men’s chorus conducted by Garry Warlow, symphonic band commanded by Donna Burmylo-Magram and the eighth grade band performers accompanied by their respective middle school instructors took the stage to captivate their audience’s attention.

Initiated by the wind ensemble, Lipton orchestrated his arsenal of performers through a series of fast-paced and upbeat musical numbers that kept the audience awake and anxious for more. Afterward, the men’s chorus took to the stage and began its long performance of humor and few-weeks old Christmas medleys.

The eager audience could not contain its amusement at the physical and vocal performance of the men while singing “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.” The sight of these teenaged boys waving their hands in place of words and their good-will kept the crowd’s moral high, even through the following intermission.

Then, Burmylo-Magram led her squad of close to one hundred and fifty members of the symphonic band onto the stage. The lights shone upon the performers, from the percussionists to the mallet players. The auditorium was shaken by the harmonizing music coming from the students. The second number, “Phantom of the Opera Medley,” phased through various songs from the famous opera and mesmerized the awed audience.

For the finale of the night, the eighth graders that spent the day at the high school practicing alongside the high schoolers finally joined them up on the stage. The audience released its appreciation of their performers. The weeks of hard work finally paid off with the round of applause that seemed to never end. With a few final parting words, the audience and students were dismissed and departed to go home.

In a span of two hours, the performers portrayed their weeks of effort and relentless practicing for the audience to listen to. The winter concert has ended but the love of music has still just started.