Eagles move into NFC East lead after win on Washington

By Gillian McGoldrick
Editor in Chief and Entertainment Editor

PHILADELPHIA – The Philadelphia Eagles have done it: they have dashed away their at-home losing streak at the Lincoln Financial Field this past Nov. 17. With a very unexpected flip-flop of character, the team has gone from the worst in the NFC East to the best in the NFC East in two short weeks.

Still one of the newer players to the Eagles, Nick Foles has been playing phenomenally, and may even be the best in their division right now. With a pass of 298 yards to LeSean McCoy, McCoy ran for two touchdowns. But is this enough to make him the franchise quarterback? “None of us know if Nick Foles is the franchise quarterback,” junior Max O’Neill said. “If he can go into Dallas and have a redemption game and win to get the underdog Eagles into the playoffs, it will determine his stance as the franchise QB.”

But the game was not smooth-sailing, especially within the fourth quarter. After a 24-0 lead over the Washington football team, the Eagles got a bit too comfortable and found themselves holding on for dear life as the opposing team moved the ball right up and down the field for two fourth-quarter touchdowns and two 2-point conversions with hardly any time left in the game.

With the inability to move the ball for the opposing side’s offense in the rest of the game to scoring position, this led the Washington team to tighten up the game and the Eagles almost blow their lead within one quarter. Philadelphia Eagle Brandon Boykin saved an almost-tied game by intercepting a pass from Robert Griffin III. This saved the Eagles and allowed them to pull out a 24-16 victory over Washington.

One thing that has been proven true is new coach, Chip Kelly’s talent to adapt to the NFL. “With Kelly, it brings a much more upbeat, high tempo game than seen in typical offense,” O’Neill said.

In a post-game interview, Kelly found himself trying not to get too hopeful of his new team’s chances for playoffs. According to ESPN, Kelly said, “We have five games in December and we put ourselves in a situation where those five games are meaningful.”

The salvation of a home-game win is much bigger to the Eagles than it may seem. The team had not won a home game in 413 days – since Sept. 30, 2012. With a stadium selling out every single game, a win will definitely keep tailgating fans hopeful for the team’s future.

The Eagles have some time to recover with a bye next week. The team will play Arizona Cardinals on Dec. 1 at 1 p.m. for another home game at the Linc.