Volleyball: Digging into improvement

By:Kirstin Delaney
Sports Editor

The girls’ volleyball team is hoping to have a better season than last years. With a record of 5-12 last season, they are improving with a record so far of 6-9. Head coach Kate Livingstone is determined that her team will prove themselves this year. “We have kids that are mentally tough this year,” Livingstone said.
Wednesday, Oct. 16, the girls’ faced their rivalry; Pennsbury High School. Neshaminy lost 0-3, first and second match ended 15-25 and the third with 10-25.
Senior co-captain and setter, Danielle Catapano had 8 digs, 5 assists and 2 kills. Senior captain and libero, Molly Macdonald had 7 digs and an ace. Mackenzie Maher was following behind with 3 kills and 2
blocks.
“We have to get the basics and defense figured out first, before heading to playoffs,” Livingstone said. Playoffs could still possibly be in their future.
The underclassmen joining are a benefit for the volleyball team. “Seniors and juniors are great, but the underclassmen are very helpful,” Livingstone said. “We have about three sophomores on the varsity team.”
But MacDonald mentioned the challenges of a young squad. “This season was very tough having three starting sophomores on varsity,” she said.
Thursday, Oct. 10 the team had a nerve-wracking game against Council Rock South. First match was a very close score of 20-25, second and third were both 18-25. Unfortunately, the squad lost and South took the win. The overall score was 0-3.
Maher came on strong with 5 blocks and 4 kills. Following behind was Catapano with 21 assists. Junior outside hitter, Kassie Ockford ended with 8 digs, 7 kills and 2 aces.
Friday, Oct. 4, they had a close loss against Archbishop Ryan High School. The game ended with a score of 0-3. The first match was a close 22-25, leading to another two close matches with 20-25 for both.
MacDonald led the game with 14 digs, three aces and two kills. Following behind her was Catapano with 11 digs and 2 assists. Senior defensive specialist, Gabby Mannino had 10 digs and 2 aces.
“Today [was] the game I have been most looking forward to. Council Rock South is a mirror of our own team,” MacDonald said. “I could not be more proud of how we’re constantly growing each game. We improve a little bit more each time, and the future for Neshaminy girls’ volleyball looks very bright.”