Fantasy Football: The history and how to

By:Evan Cheney
Staff Writer

For us to know the origins of fantasy football, we need to go back to a simpler time back in the year of 1962. In the city of Manhattan, three men from Oakland, Calif. were there to see the up and coming American Football League game.

This league was a direct competitor to the National Football league at the time. A great man by the name of Bill Winkenbach, who was a business partner for the Oakland Raiders at the time, devised the game in a small room in the Milfred Plaza Hotel in New York City.

The first fun fantasy football league name was called “Greater Oakland Pigskin Prognosticators League.. When they returned to Oakland the next week, they met with Oakland Tribune editor, George Ross, to fine tune the rules of the game.

The rules back then are very similar to the ones today. Players drafted the players who they thought had the highest chances of scoring the most points. Since ESPN had not existed yet, and there were no powerful computers, they had to do the numbers from dozens of newspaper box scores. The first player ever drafted in a fantasy football league was Oakland Hall Of Fame Quarterback, George Blanda.

Even though everyone who even likes sports has a fantasy football league, the creators of this spectacular game never made a dime off their idea. They never thought that their idea would never be a phenomenon like it is today. Today, Fantasy Football is a $3 billion industry with magazines, and even full out television programs dedicated to providing millions of people a week with the need to know fantasy football stats of the week.

All around Neshaminy high school fans of fantasy football feel differently about the amazing game. “I play fantasy football because it makes the game of football more fun to watch,” junior Nathan Hankinson said.

He started playing fantasy football because “I wanted to make money doing something I love.” Hankinson happily replied. Junior Justin Holtz, who is also an avid lover of the game. “The part I love most about it is playing with friends,” Holtz emphatically said.

Let’s talk about who’s hot and who’s not right now in the world of fantasy football. Have a fantasy football team? Here are a few players you might want to consider picking up.

Philip Rivers is a great option to have on your team right now. He has solid receiving weapons in Eddie Royal, Antonio Gates and Danny Woodhead. And, he is available in 41 percent of all leagues.

The best option right now for a running back is to pick up Joique Bell. Although he rushes aside Reggie Bush, Bell is more likely to rush the ball inside the five yard line. This, in turn, will lead to more touchdowns.

Another great option at running back is Jacquizz Rodgers. With the indefinite injury to Steven Jackson, he is getting most of the carries. Rodgers won’t get those amazing 20 point games, but he is a solid option for when multiple running backs are on bye weeks.

If receivers are a problem, look no further than the New England Patriot’s Kenbrell Thompkins. When the Patriots lost players such as Aaron Hernandez and Wes Welker, most people thought that the Patriots would not do so well this season. Fantasy-wise, he’ll either get 100 yards and a touchdown, or just one catch for eight yards. As inconsistent as he can be, he’s a good emergency option.

Here are a few players that are definitely ones to avoid on any fantasy roster.At all costs, avoid Blaine Gabbert. His team, like himself, is extremely dismal. He averages seven points a game.

Another player you should avoid is Roddy White. This year has been bad for him so far with a high ankle sprain. Consequently, his fantasy production is paying the price.

Until you see him have a good game, I would keep him on the bench, or trade him as long as possible. Also, avoid Vincent Jackson. His quarterback situation is very questionable with the ousting of Josh Freeman.

And his new quarterback Mike Glennon is an unknown who can either turn out really great, or really bad. As with White, just keep him out or bench him until you can be confident that he can provide consistent production.

With Julio Jones now out for the season, many people are now scrambling to find another player to replace his huge void. But since most people aren’t like that, just try a fantasy football league. It might seem like it, but it really is never too late to start up a league. So enjoy fantasy football, and good luck to all.