Kaleidoscope of Bands

By Heather White

On Oct. 26th, 2013, the Neshaminy High School Marching Band hosted the 21st annual Kaleidoscope of Bands, also known as K.O.B.

K.O.B. is a competition where local marching bands compete in order to win a series of awards. Each band received a rating from “excellent” to “superior,” and also had a chance to win one or more of a series of caption awards. Some of these awards included Best Marching, Best Music, Best Percussion, Best Color Guard, Best Overall Effect, and Best Drum Majors.

Harry S. Truman and Bensalem High School received a rating of “outstanding,” while Owen J. Roberts, William Tennent, Montgomery, Easton Area, Pennsbury, Council Rock South, and Council Rock North received a rating of “superior.”

While Council Rock North won most of the caption awards, they did not win them all. Owen J. Roberts received the Best Drum Majors award, and Best Overall Effect was awarded to Council Rock South.

“I loved seeing students with the same musical interest perform for each other and in front of a music-loving crowd,” Dan Aslanian, junior, said. Aslanian is the junior drum major of the Neshaminy Marching Band, and helped present the awards at the competition, alongside senior drum major Emily Singer, and the two color guard captains.

“I was excited to be presenting the awards to the bands this year,” senior Megan Fantini, one of the color guard captains said. This was only her second Kaleidoscope of Bands competition, and having the honor of seeing the reactions of the winners and awarding them was intriguing to her.

At the end of the night, the Neshaminy High School Marching Band performed in exhibition to close out the performances, and then all nine bands marched onto the field and played the Star Spangled Banner in unison.

The Kaleidoscope of Bands is one of the most exciting events of the marching band season, and will be taking place back at Harry E. Franks Stadium next October.