Teachers ratify contract, school board pending vote

By Stephanie Harvey
News Editor

After five long years of negotiations, the dispute between the Neshaminy School Board and the Neshaminy Federation of Teachers (NFT) could potentially be over. On Tuesday, May 28 the two sides reached a tentative agreement. This came shortly after the NFT voted to reject the past contract offer 256-215 on May 20.

According to a statement released by Neshaminy School Board President, Richie Webb, “The deal between the two parties is essentially the same proposal that has been on the table since December 2012 with the addition of some contract language changes.” The school board is set to be voting on the proposal at a meeting tomorrow, June 13.

The NFT is voted on the offer on Monday, June 3. The contract was ratified by the NFT with a vote of 487 to 21 during the meeting.

Neshaminy teacher and NFT President Louise Boyd said, “While reaching agreement required some tough tradeoffs, we were able to preserve key principles that important to us as professional educators to our students – issues that directly affect the overall quality of education in Neshaminy schools.”

When asked to comment on the possible contract settlement, Webb said, “It has not sunk in yet. Almost like a dream, but it is true. I think it is a new beginning for the entire Neshaminy community and I hope that we will move forward together making Neshaminy better than ever.”

Students are also very excited about the deal. “I think it’s great that they finally worked this out,” senior Brandon Segal said.

The contract brings about many new changes. Some of which increase a 16 percent increased share in pay for teachers while making payments for 11-16 percent of their health benefits mandatory for teachers. This will ultimately save the district between $3 and $4 million over the next two years.

If the board is to accept the deal like is expected, the Neshaminy teachers will receive the same Council Rock- like salary matrix. The contract offers from the school board have been modeled after the recent Council Rock school district contract agreement.

The deal no longer includes many of the memorandums of understanding and past practice provisions included in the last contract.

Webb also wanted to give community members credit, “I would like to thank all the parents, teachers and community member who helped bring about a new contract, but most of all our Neshaminy students who continue to achieve and make us proud despite all the disruption that occured over the past five years,” he said.

The past five years have been a “tough process”, said Boyd.

“The board still must act, and we anticipate a favorable vote. Once that happens, everyone – teachers, administrators, community members – will be able [to] get back to focusing on the most important thing we do: educating Neshaminy students.”