Volleyball team upset in second round of district playoffs

The Neshaminy boys’ volleyball team wrapped up a 13 and three season overall, losing three to nothing to a solid North Penn team in the second round of the District One playoffs. It was a headline year for the ‘Skins, ranking ninth in the state overall and playing solid volleyball throughout the entire season.
Heading into the playoffs, the boys’ volleyball team finished the regular season with an eight and three record within their division, earning themselves a fourth seed in the District One playoffs. They were up against number 13 Central Bucks South in the first round of play on May 14.
Their first playoff match was a victory, defeating CB South in four games. Combined efforts from Ryan Jamison, Zach McGowan, and Chase Fullen contributed to the ‘Skins win. Jamison and Fullen had game-high nights, Jamison with 10 aces, and Fullen with 33 assists. McGowan had a solid game as well, killing ten balls and serving two aces.
In the second round of the playoffs on May 16, the ‘Skins were matched up with a North Penn volleyball team who sensed blood in the water and were determined to leave as victors. However, the Neshaminy boys weren’t going down without a hard-earned fight.
“Our strategy going in to the game was to get at least two blockers up on the outside and funnel the ball to our defenders. Their defense covers the middle of the court very well so we tried to hit the ball down the line as often as possible,” said Head Coach Kevin Roode.
In the first two games, the ‘Skins battled back from early deficits, keeping the game tight despite the power of a very solid North Penn team. After losing the first game 17-25, the Neshaminy boys battled back and decreased the deficit of the second game to only a 21-25 loss. The third game was within reach.
After playing a long third game down two to nothing, it seemed like it could have gone to either team. The ‘Skins pushed it past 25 in game three, exchanging points back and forth, but lost a few key points to some tough line calls eventually resulting in a 31-29 loss.
For North Penn, this was the first time that they were headed to states since 2007. A key factor in their victory was their ability to get out to a good start and jumping out to an early lead. Their level of play was superior to even some of the best volleyball Neshaminy has played all season.
“Our guys played great. I really don’t think we could have done much more. North Penn was just on fire. They hardly made any mistakes,” said Roode.
Despite being knocked out of the playoffs, the season was filled with big wins for Neshaminy. One of the season’s highlights was the defeat of Council Rock North at home in three games. Council Rock came in as the favorite to win, but the ‘Skins had a fire in their hearts and ice in their veins knowing that they would walk out of that gym as victors. They did just that, sweeping North in three games 25-11, 26-24, and 25-19.
For the Neshaminy boys, it has been a season filled with ups and downs. The ‘Skins came up with a big win against powerhouse rival Council Rock North at home, but came up short and were swept by the number two team in the state, Pennsbury in both matchups. Determination and the will to win was a common theme on the minds of the Neshaminy boys throughout the entire season, something that was evident since game one.