Softball team poised for deep postseason run

The Neshaminy Lady Skins varsity softball team has had a great season so far. The Lady Skins clinched the National Conference with a perfect record of 14 wins and no losses, and an overall record of 17-1.
Neshaminy has been consistent all season and has dominated recording eight shut-outs this year. The Lady Skins beat Truman six to nothing, Abington nine to nothing, William Tennet 11 to nothing, Council Rock North 10 to nothing, Bensalem two to nothing, seven to nothing against Bristol, and two to nothing against Pennsbury.
Neshaminy had all but two of their shut outs at home this year. All of the shutouts except the games against Pennsbury and Council Rock North were at home. “The people at Neshaminy always create extra excitement for us,” Head Coach David Chichilitti said.
The only game the Lady Skins were beaten in was an out of conference seven to eight loss at home against Nazareth. After the loss Neshaminy rebounded in a big way and went on the win their next 14 straight.
Perhaps the biggest win in that streak was the last against rival Pennsbury. With the 2-0 shutout, Neshaminy was able to clinch the national conference and remain undefeated in conference play.
Shortstop Diana LaPalombara had a huge game going two for three, including the eventual game winning hit and a leadoff home run. Lauren Quense also helped contribute in a big way by allowing no runs and only giving up three hits to the Falcons.
All season long the lady skins have given a solid team effort. “We’re a team on and off the field. These girls do everything together,” Chichilitti said.
A big reason for Neshaminy’s success has been the play of senior pitcher Lauren Quense. Quense was named the team’s most valuable player this season. “She’s the most fierce competitor I’ve ever met,” Chichilitti said.
Quense was a force on the mound this season, earning an 18-1 record on the season and posting a 1.25 era. Quense also proved to be efficient at the plate, hitting a Bucks County leading seven homeruns on the season.
Also keeping the team moving forward are seniors Julia McGovern and Diana LaPalombara. McGovern, a third baseman with several games played behind the plate is batting .517 with 19 RBIs, three homeruns and a county leading 13 doubles. While shortstop LaPalombara boasts a .436 average, 30 runs and three homeruns.
After finishing the regular season on a roll the lady skins were able to clinch a bye in the first round of the playoffs. Neshaminy played their first playoff game on May 22 against Boyertown 3-1 behind a first inning, two-run homerun from McGovern. The ‘Skins held off the Bears for the remainder of the game with help from another dominating performance by Quense.
On Saturday, May 25, the ‘Skins dominated the 8 seed, Downingtown East Cougars, winning 7-0. The Redskins were propelled again by Lauren Quense, who dominated on the mound, pitching a two-hitter and also added 4 RBIs and a homerun to her impressive performance. With this win, the ‘Skins guaranteed their spot in the state playoffs.
However, on Fri. May 31 the ’Skins were upset by seventh-seeded CB West 4-2. While they may have lost the district championship, the girls went into the state tournament with plenty of momentum.
In their quarterfinal matchup of the PIAA State Playoffs, the ’Skins took on Daniel Boone Blazers. The ’Skins demolished the Blazers 8-0 behind a perfect game by Lauren Quense, her fifth no-hitter of the season and first perfect game of her career at Neshaminy.
Quense fanned 15 of 21 in her dominating performance all while finishing 2-4 with 2 RBIs and a homerun.
The ’Skins played North Penn High School in the State semi-final round of the PIAA State Championships after previously defeating the Knights in the semi-finals of the District playoffs 2-0. If they win, the ’Skins would receive a pass to the State Championships.