Historic landmarks close to home

The Historical Langhorne Association is looking for a young man or woman to help out. Anyone interested in the history of Langhorne and willing to volunteer a few weekends in Oct to sign up to help give tours. They are looking for someone to dress in revolutionary solider garb and explain the findings in the cemetery.

The burial ground was discovered when a diary was recovered in an old historic building. The diary depicted soldiers coming down from battle in Trenton, being treated, dying, and then being buried up the street from the young girl who had written the diary. Landmarks were given which helped the Historical Langhorne Association locate the burial ground and protect it.

“Often times I get people who went through the tour coming up to me and telling me they never knew all the history revolving around Langhorne, although they’ve lived here for years,” Beth Conelley, a member of the HLA said.

The Historic Langhorne Association was established in 1965. Its headquarters are in the original Langhorne Library which was constructed in 1888 and later served as a branch of the Bucks County Free Library. The Historic Langhorne Association officially occupied the building by permission of the Bucks County Commissioners in 1977.

The building serves many functions: our monthly business and membership meetings; a museum gift shop; a gathering place for other organizations; and several gala events. It is a museum in which the association houses the many artifacts that have been donated to us by local towns-people.

The Historic Langhorne Association is busy researching, recording, and preserving Langhorne history. H.L.A. is a non-profit organization that needs support from community members who appreciate history and it’s preservation. The building is open to the public as a museum and a research library.

“I thought it was going to be really boring but it turned out to be really interesting and I would love to go back again,” sophomore Sarah Spanudis, who went on the tour last year said.