Lacrosse team struggles early, hopeful for rebound

By Kirstin Delaney
Staff Wtiter

Neshaminy’s girls’ lacrosse team is off to a slow start in the beginning part of the season with a 2-5 record; in their first game, on March 22 against Plymouth Whitemarsh, the ‘Skins lost 10-9 in a nail-biter. After rebounding from the loss, Neshaminy went on to beat Pope John Paul High school 17-13 on April 2. However, the ‘Skins were dominated by Council Rock North on April 8, with a score of 18-3.

The final score of a close loss to Academy of the New Church on April 5 ended 14 -10. This was
followed by another disappointing loss to Pennsbury on April 9, scoring 19-2. Finally conquering a great win of a 12 – 9 score from Chichester on April 15, and then losing with a 26 -10 to Abington on April 16.

The ’Skins have had a better season so far. “We are early in the season and we are currently 2-5. However, this is already a huge improvement from last year,” head coach Ashley Belmonte said.

A lot of the players are new and inexperienced, but continue to improve game after game.
“Neshaminy girls’ lacrosse continues to be a growing sport and the girls are really picking it up,” Belmonte said. The ‘Skins lacrosse team is getting better with each game and playoffs seem to be in their future. “We will continue to work hard at practice and we hope this will help us with the remainder of our season,” Belmonte continued.

Team captains, seniors Kelsey Fuller and Kathy Celis are working hard to shape up their team, “Our captains Kelsey Fueller and Kathy Celis are doing a great job and they continue to motivate the girls and keep the team organized,” Belmonte said. The players are working hard to improve and are excelling. “We are also very pleased that one of our seniors, Malloree-Jo Mason is going to play at the college level next year,” Belmonte continued.

The lacrosse team didn’t start off to well, but any young, growing team will have their problems. Also, with their fourth head coach in four years the team will need time to adjust and become comfortable with their new coach.

Belmonte is no stranger to lacrosse, graduating from Villa Jo Marie High School, Belmonte was the league MVP her senior year and scored an area high 73 goals and 118 assists. There is no doubt that she will able to turn this team around and make them a competitor in the near future.