Softball team motivated by disappointing season

By Brianna Spause
Special Features Editor

Last year’s heartbreaking loss in the first round of playoffs has lit a fire under the spikes of Neshaminy High School’s Varsity Softball team. According to Head Coach David Chichilitti, the Lady ‘Skins are a PIAA favorite to win the league. Being determined to make it to the state title match this year has prompted much success on the field so far in the 2013 season. The girls hold a record of 7-2 as of April 17, and will continue to fight their way to the top in their remaining games.

This year’s varsity squad is fully loaded, and will be seeing six seniors off into the competitive world of collegiate ball after graduation. Lauren Creamer starts off the list by signing with Sesquehanna University, a Divison III school. Selina Alicea and Molly Garrigan have been recruited to play Division II softball at California University of Pennsylvania and East Stroudsburg University respectively. The class of 2013 has also produced three prospective Division I ball players in Diana LaPalombara with St. Francis University, Julia McGovern with Quinnipiac University, and Lauren Quense with Fordham University.

This year’s talent is not only concentrated within the senior class however. Three freshmen have earned a spot on the team, and are accumulating experience. Junior, Jenny Rakita has also shown serious promise on the Junior Varsity team, going undefeated so far this season. “I think we’re really lucky because the underclassman show leadership both on and off of the field. Everyone works well as a unit,” starting pitcher, Lauren Quense said. “We’re taking it one game at a time and treat every opponent the same. We definitely have big goals for this year.”

Chichilitti shares these high hopes for the rest of the season, but extends them past the individual talent on the field. “The girls on the team work together like a family. Team chemistry is one of the most important facets of my coaching plan. Our girls do everything together.” The stressed importance of working as a team has been proven to be a success. Support from the bench, and communication on the field are vital components to team success that the Lady ‘Skins have mastered. “I constantly tell them that in addition to practicing all year and being the best players we can be, that we have to bond and be the best team we can be. At the end of every season it’s rare that the team with the best players win the championship. The best team is usually who prevails and that is our focus – being the best team,” Chichilitti said.

Friday, April 5 marked the team’s most memorable moment so far when the Lady ‘Skins lost a home contest against Nazareth Academy. “We lost our focus and intensity and our talent couldn’t prevail. This is a valuable lesson to learn early in the season and because of that, right now, that is the most memorable moment. We will learn from this and work hard to not have that feeling again,” Chichilitti said.

The beginning of the season has shown promise for Neshaminy’s own. There are many balls to be fielded, runs to be scored and lessons to be learned on their path to seek the championship this season. The next game will take place tonight away. at Rancocas Valley High School.