Goodwill opens in Langhorne

By Josh Einbinder-Schatz
Photo/Graphics Editor

A new Goodwill retail store recently celebrated its grand opening. It is located on Lincoln Highway, in Langhorne, across the street from Oxford Valley Mall in the Target Center where Sixth Avenue Electronics was previously located.

Goodwill is an international not-for-profit industry, with the goal, “to enhance the dignity and quality of life of individuals and families by strengthening communities, eliminating barriers to opportunity, and helping people in need reach their full potential through learning and the power of work,” according to their website.

In 2011, Goodwill retail stores made 2.59 billion dollars. In addition Goodwill served 4.2 million people through employment and job training programs, provided 107 mission services, and helped 189 thousand people gain employment. They use 82 percent of their revenue to directly fund their employment and training programs, benefiting communities across the world.

The new retail store is one of over 2,650 across the globe. They carry new and gently used items at low prices, including: clothing for men, women, children, and infants, toys, furniture, and household items.

Senior Kierceton Keller is looking forward to shopping there. “I love being able to find unique and different items,” Keller said.

The side of the store is a donation center, for people to drop off items they no longer need. About 90 percent of the merchandise Goodwill sells comes from donations.