Swimming makes splash in conference

By Vinny Frazetto
Sports Editor

The 2012 Neshaminy swimming teams are having productive seasons thus far; both teams are improving and swimming competitive races. The boys’ team is off to a hot start this season, with a record of four and one, with wins against Cheltenham, CB West, Bensalem and Abington, and a lone loss to Pennsbury. However, the girls’ swimming team is having a rebuilding year, off to a 1-4 start, with their lone win against Bensalem.

The boys’ team is having a great start to the season, with strong senior leadership from captains Brandon Segal and Andriy Leshkiv. As well as consistently strong performances from swimmers Justin Korenstein, Steve Keashon, Evan Reinhart and Rob Giannini, among others. “We have arguably some of the best swimmers to ever come through Neshaminy, in my opinion,” Coach Brian Suter said. While the team continues to have success early on, they still face many challenges in their upcoming meets; with meets against both Council Rock North and South, the road to SOLs will be a challenging one.

The boys’ team had several blowout wins against Cheltenham and CB West, but also proved they could come from behind when needed, beating Abington 90 to 86 on the final race of the meet; the boys’ four by 100 relay. “We faced a huge test today; decisions had to be made in order for us to come from behind. We are going to take what we learned today, and apply it to our upcoming meets,” Coach Suter said.

With the ability to both blow out opponents and also grind out a win in the end, this year’s boys’ team will be dangerous in conference competition.

The girls’ swimming team is having a much more rocky beginning to the season, starting 1-4, with their lone win over Bensalem. “Right now the girls’ team is in a stage of growth considering much of the team this year is new at the sport. So really any individual time drop is an improvement, they just have to keep focusing on technique, and next year try to add more depth to the team.” Girls captain Natalie Caruso said. With a young team such as this, the focus is on establishing solid technique and improving consistently.

While the results haven’t been there for the girls, they remain confident with their hard work this year. The members of the team and coaching staff plan to remain patient and perform to the best of their ability. “Girls’ team has been growing, they aren’t winning but they keep dropping times. You can be the best team, but if your times are stagnant then you’re going to be beaten.” Suter said.

While the teams seem to be traveling in opposite directions at the moment, there is still plenty of time for the girls to turn their early season problems around.

As for the boys, they need to stay hot and maintain their work ethic as the season reaches a crucial stretch. “We need to do what the coaches tell us to do. We’ll be fine for all of our upcoming meets if we perform to the best of our ability.” Captain Brandon Segal said. The next meet for the ‘Skins is Friday, Jan. 25.