District imposes new graduation requirement

By Emily Scott

Last month, it was decided at a board meeting that the Keystones will be a Neshaminy High School graduation requirement for the Class of 2014 taking the tests beginning this month. The Keystones are replacing the PSSA’s which were a graduation requirement for the Class of 2013. The testing schedule begins Thursday Dec. 6 with the Biology exam.

The PSSA’s were a multi-year cumulative exam that covered the essentials. The Keystones are designed to be course specific similar to a final exam. “The Keystones involve more rigorous questions and higher order understanding of concepts than the PSSA’s, but they are intended to be easier to focus with it being one subject,” Dr. McGee said.

Hearing that the exams are much more difficult has the students concerned about graduation. Junior Samantha Eckart said, “I think the tests were really hard. I took Biology last year and I don’t remember anything from it. I feel that most students did poorly on it.” The Biology exam does not count as a requirement to graduation, unlike the Literature and Algebra I exams. Students must score at least proficient on both exams.

For some students, they have not been in a biology class since their freshman year, so the information isn’t exactly fresh in their mind.

“We already have so much dependent on our graduation, like the graduation project, finals, and good grades in general. I think the tests were too difficult for students who haven’t been in a biology class for half a year or a year and a half,” junior Johnny Gallagher stated.

For those students who may not do as well on the exams, there are safety nets set in place. “There will be Grad Lab just like for the seniors this year for the PSSA’s. Students will be able to take it during their study hall to get assistance,” Dr. McGee said. The only difference with this is students will then have to retake the Keystones to pass. It is a continuation of the PSSA Graduation requirement only with higher standards.

It was just decided over summer for the students to take Keystone tests this year. Schools were already preparing to set up for the PSSA schedule. There is no secure approval by the U.S. Department of Education yet, but the tests can still be implemented.

Underclassmen who have already taken Algebra I, Biology, or Literature classes will begin taking the Keystones in May. Over time, the school will have been able to catch up all the students. Juniors will then not be forced to take three different tests throughout 11th grade. Instead, they will take it throughout their high school career.

The Keystones are going to be a test trial for Neshaminy students. It will help display what needs to be focused on with the curriculum. With more arduous questions the students will be tested in Biology, Algebra I, and Literature. As a graduation requirement, students must score proficient in order to pass, continuing on with the PSSA testing terms.