Return of regular NFL referees

The NFL reached an eight-year agreement with the NFL Referees Association last Wednesday night to end the lockout, the regular referees returned Thursday night with a warm welcome. For the first three weeks of the regular season the NFL used replacement referees which resulted in brutal play and questionable calls.

“We look forward to having the finest officials in sports back on the field, and I want to give a special thanks to NFL fans for their passion, now it’s time to put the focus back on the teams and players where it belongs,” NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement released by the NFL. Especially after the Monday Night Football game between the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks in which the Seahawks won on a controversial “Hail Mary” call. This game wasn’t considered the “last straw” but certainly accelerated the process in ending the lockout as soon as possible.

According to the NFL’s website, “The current defined benefit pension plan will remain in place for current officials through the 2016 season (or until the official earns 20 years of service). The defined benefit plan then will be frozen.” Beginning on the 2013 season the NFL will be able to hire officials on a full-time basis to work the whole year, including on the field.

“The integrity of the game is reliant on having professionally trained individuals supervising the athletes during competition,” linebacker coach Dave Ferrara said. Ferrara along with the rest of the NFL fans and players are happy to welcome back the regular NFL refs.

The lockout was temporarily lifted by Goodell so that officials could work Thursday’s night game between the Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns. The referees will vote on the agreement on Friday and Saturday in Dallas.