Filed under Sports

CONCACAF Gold Cup Preview 2017

The+2017+CONCACAF+Gold+cup+is+scheduled+July+7-26+with+games+taking+place+in+multiple+cities.+
The 2017 CONCACAF Gold cup is scheduled July 7-26 with games taking place in multiple cities.

Photo via Google under Creative Commons liscense

The Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football, better known as CONCACAF, announced on Dec. 19 the 14 cities listed to host the CONCACAF Gold Cup from July 7 to 26, 2017. Venues, group stage events, group assignments and game matches were released for already-qualified seeded nations such as the United States and Mexico.

The announcement was made simultaneously coast to coast by athletes, musicians and local dignitaries who represent each of the host venues. Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, rock band Kings of Leon and the mayors of several of the participating cities helped spread the word through social media. The tournament, known to draw large crowds and millions of television viewers, is a celebration of soccer, sportsmanship and culture. In an effort to allow more fans to participate in the thrill of tournament first- hand, CONCACAF has added four first-time hosts: Alamodome (San Antonio, Texas); FirstEnergy Stadium (Cleveland, Ohio); Levi’s Stadium (Santa Clara, Calif.); and Nissan Stadium (Nashville, Tenn.).

Returning to host the tournament in July are ten previous venues including Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Pa. (2009, 2015); Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, Calif. (1996, 2000); Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J. (2011, 2013); and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. (1991, 2002, 2011, 2013).

“We’re excited to bring the Gold Cup to new markets across the country. These cities have all proved ready and eager to host our region’s marquee soccer championship, and welcome world class international soccer next summer,” said CONCACAF General Secretary Philippe Moggio.

Currently, seven national teams out of the twelve have qualified for the tournament: Canada, Curacao, French Guiana, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico and the United States. While Canada, Mexico and the United States are automatic North American entrants, the four Caribbean teams had to secure semifinal places in the 2016/17 Scotiabank CFU Men’s Caribbean Cup.  

The top four finishers from the Central American Cup—to be played in Panama from Jan. 13 to 22, 2017—will also qualify. The three best second-place finishers from the third round of Caribbean Cup play which include Haiti, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago will also compete against each other to determine the final Gold Cup qualifier.

“As I fan of the Gold Cup, I am excited to watch these teams play this year,” said junior Charles Marone. “I definitely think the United States and Mexico will be top contenders as they usually are, but I also enjoy watching the Caribbean teams compete for a chance to win as well.”

The champion of the Gold Cup assures their team a spot in the next CONCACAF tournament, an opportunity to participate in the 2021 FIFA Confederations Cup, and continental bragging rights. 

• CONCACAF Gold Cup Preview 2017

Sports

Spring has sprung, and so has softball season

• CONCACAF Gold Cup Preview 2017

Sports

Despite obstacles, track team holds high standards for season

• CONCACAF Gold Cup Preview 2017

Sports

Chris Arcidiacono lives up to his name

• CONCACAF Gold Cup Preview 2017

Sports

Senior wrestler competes at state championships

• CONCACAF Gold Cup Preview 2017

Sports

March is here, the madness has begun

• CONCACAF Gold Cup Preview 2017

Sports

Student athletes hard at work, even during off-season

• CONCACAF Gold Cup Preview 2017

Sports

Swim team dyes hair preceding path to championships

• CONCACAF Gold Cup Preview 2017

Sports

Basketball team recovers from coaching changes

• CONCACAF Gold Cup Preview 2017

Sports

Neshaminy graduate first female to win sports journalism award

• CONCACAF Gold Cup Preview 2017

Photography

Playwickian Predictions: “Who will win Superbowl LI ?”

CONCACAF Gold Cup Preview 2017