Bippity boppity boo: Fairy godmother visits NHS

More stories from Madison Pickul

Crossfire: PHRC
February 15, 2019

Valery Celis

Neshaminy student, Valery Celis draws a Cinderella’s closet logo.

Since we were little girls, we all dreamed of being Cinderella. Now girls at NHS can feel like Cinderella at an affordable cost. Cinderella’s Closet is an annual Neshaminy event where people can donate their old prom dresses for others to purchase at low costs. All dresses are below $25.

“[Cinderella’s Closet] is a project that first period fashion and design class is running where they collect gently used prom gowns and resell them,” adviser Ann Caminiti to the project said. Caminiti got the idea for this fundraiser when she heard about a church in Kentucky where a teenager, Erin Peterson, created the event.

The fashion and design students collect the growns, refurbish, size, package and sell them. Sophomore Kelly Vaida’s job is to bag the dresses and attach the price tags. She likes being apart of an organization that helps others. “I absolutely recommend that  people donate to the cause,” said Viada

Senior, Jocelyn Cimino, is a student who not only works on refurbishing the dresses, but she also has donated two of her own dresses.

“I donated my dresses because it was for a good cause, and I didn’t know what to do with them,” said Cimino. Cimino’s job also includes racking all of the dresses and organizing them by size.

The dresses have to meet a few basic requirements for them to be resold. “We accept all of the donations, but in order for the dresses to be sold, they can’t have rips, tears or stains,” said Caminiti.

All of the dresses are priced by the condition and how old the dress is. If they aren’t able to be resold, they are donated to the local women’s shelter. The shelter refurbishes the dresses and sells them in their Doylestown store.

“All of the proceeds either go towards the design classes’ future projects or, like the unsold dresses, we give the money to the women’s shelter,” Caminiti said.

To make prom more memorable and affordable for girls who can’t afford to buy a new dress, stop by C117 and C118 to drop off your gently used prom dress. Girls are able to come shop anytime during the school day.