Artist of the Issue: Francesca Marren

Photo/Nina Taranenko

Francesca Marren is a senior member of the Neshaminy High School Select Choir.

What does it mean to be an artist? When many people hear the term artist, they just think of someone finely stroking a brush over a blank white canvas. However, being an artist also applies to those who create melodies with their instruments or with their vocal chords.

One such artist is musician Francesca Marren, a senior in the Neshaminy High School Select Choir. She has been singing since elementary school, which has given her a plethora of time to hone her skills as a vocalist.

During her freshman year, Marren was in the freshman choir, but then the year after, she auditioned for the select choir and was accepted. Ever since then, she has been a member of the esteemed select choir. She is also involved in the high school drama program and has been in a few of the plays and musicals over the past years.

All this time she has spent in choir has helped her prepare for being part of the county choir since ninth grade, and for being part of the district choir since 10th grade.

“It’s a three-day festival, and you get to meet other kids in Bucks and Montgomery County that also sing, and it’s really awesome,” Marren said while describing her experience in the district choir. She hopes to be involved with the festival again this year.

Marren describes the students in the choir program to be like a really close family: “My favorite part of being involved with the choir program is being with so many people that are so passionate about singing, and everybody is so connected here.  Nobody is judgmental of each other, and it’s just a place where you can really be yourself.”