Teachers respond to final interveiws at Neshaminy

Henry Houseman

Q: How many years have you dedicated to teaching students? Describe your experience.

I’ve been with Neshaminy for 27 years. All 27 at the high school. Teaching mostly 10th grade world history and AP European history. I’ve also taught American Studies and Physical Geography.

Q: What influenced you to become a teacher?

Two sources of influence. One was my father who had a love of history, especially ancient Egypt. The other was my 10th social studies world history teacher who awakened my interest in the subject.

Q: How many years of your teaching experience did you spend at Neshaminy?
All 27!

Q: What were your greatest concerns when you began teaching? Did those turn out to be justified concerns or just the typical nerves of a new teacher?

As a new teacher, I worried that I would get bored with the career and want to move on to something else. That never happened. What I worried about most as a new teacher was oversleeping. It took years for my body to get use to waking at 5 a.m. to get ready for work!

Q: What is your most memorable moment as a teacher?

Too many to mention in great detail. No one memorable moment that stands out. Just many good years with great students who made me laugh on a daily basis. I’ll always treasure those interactions.

Q: What are you going to miss the most about Neshaminy?

The people! My colleagues in the social studies department and others throughout the building that I have built friendships with over the years. I admit I will miss the students too.
I realize they have had a lot to do with keeping me young at heart. I hope that does not change.

Q:What are your plans after retiring from NHS?

Can’t wait. I have a list a mile long. Travel, spending time with family and friends are at the top of the list.

Diana Turek-Gever

I have been teaching for over 22 years, most of them at Neshaminy. I’ve taught at three elementary schools, Maple Point Middle School, and the last four years at the high school.

I was mostly concerned about being organized and remembering everyone’s names, and, yes, I am still worried about being organized and remembering everyone’s names.

Q: What was your biggest challenge in teaching and how did you overcome it?

One of my biggest challenges was adjusting to the high school- it was so huge and there were so many people. I quickly found that the real challenge is resisting all the delicious goodies the English department brings in.

I would say that what is most memorable about my teaching career has been watching my students become young adults- I love seeing my ex-students in the hallway, and I especially enjoy when they come back to chat.

I will miss the friendships I have made throughout Neshaminy but especially in the English department. No one would believe how funny English teachers are. I will also miss the students- not just teaching them but also talking to them.

Q: What are your plans after retiring from NHS?

My husband and I have a lot of travel plans, and I plan to do volunteer work, play bridge, play Mah Jongg, go to the gym, and read lots of books!

Q: Is there anything else you would like to add?

Being a teacher has had unexpected rewards: I have learned from my students as well as teaching them. I hope to stay in touch with my students and I wish them all a bright and promising future.

Kim Gibbons

Q: How many years have you been at Neshaminy?

I’ve been working in Neshaminy for 27 years.
Q: What was your most memorable moment at Neshaminy?

When I help someone work through a problem or help them get into their dream college. It’s satsifying to see students get through their problems and it’s defintely a great feeling when they say thank you!

Q: What is the most satisfying thing about counseling?

The most satisfying thing about counseling is helping students reach their goals.

I will miss all the students that I have enjoyed helping over the years and the great staff that I have worked with for awhile.

I would like to travel, go to the gym, and continue to read more books.
Q: What influenced you to become a school counselor?

I always liked school and helping people. School Counseling was a good career choice for me.
Q: What does school counseling mean to you?

As a school counselor, I can work with students on academic achievement, personal goals and career development.