Gianna Newborg: Dedicated student, competitor, dancer

By Sloane Horton
Archivist

Gianna Newborg is known to many as a sophomore at Neshaminy High School, yet even better known as a dedicated hardworking and nationally recognized dancer. She has been dancing since she was four years old and has grown to admire contemporary dance among all styles. She is currently enrolled at Caru Entertainment Dance Complex in Pennington, New Jersey.

Newborg has had an extremely impressive competitive history that still continues today. She holds National titles as a petitie and junior at Beyond the Stars Competition.Her regional titles extend to competitons such as Starpower, Show Stoppers, Nextstar, On Stage America, Dancers Inc, Groove, The Edge, Starbound, On point, Legacy, Dance Xplosion and NDS.

Many know Newborg from walking down the hallways of Neshaminy High School but some may recognize her from her star qualities on Season 2 of Lifetime’s hit TV show Abby’s Ultimate Dance completion. “I randomly sent in an application online not thinking anything of it. My mom laughed at me and didn’t think there was any chance of them even looking at it. To our surprise, they emailed us back. I had a Skype interview, interviews through email and a live interview in New York where I performed for them,” she said.

The show had received a couple hundred thousand applications and only 12 dancers were selected. Soon after the live audition in New York, Gianna and her mom were packed and ready to go film. Filming was from 9 am to 9 pm where the cast members were given breaks for food, school and costume fittings. “Being in front of a camera 24/7 was weird at first but we all got used to it quickly. We lived on set so we could just wake up in the morning and walk across the street to the stage,” said Newborg.

In the process Gianna made a lot of friends from around the country. Girls came from all over such as Rhode Island, Nebraska, Arizona and more. It was a learning experience for Newborg as she got to work with Emmy Award winning choreographers and meet numerous new friends. “Abby hated me and was super hard on me. She did give me many tips and useful corrections that I’ve never heard before. I think her approach to giving criticism is a little harsh but it is effective and she taught me a lot,” said Newborg.

This talented artist plans on pursuing dance upon graduating Neshaminy High School whether it involves performing or teaching others. “Dance is my escape and has shaped me into the person I am today,” she said.