Zika virus continues spreading, impacts Americas, Africa, Pacific Islands

By Catherine Hilliard
News Editor

Concern increases as the Zika virus continues to rapidly spread across the Western Hemisphere. The virus, spread by the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito, is now reported to be in Africa, Asia, Polynesia, and Central and South Americas.

An outbreak in May 2015 in Brazil led to an alert by the Pan American Health Organization. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have recently issued travel alerts in 24 countries and territories where the virus is continuing to spread.

There are 24 countries and territories reported to be infected with the virus, and the number continues to grow across the Caribbean and South America.

According to the CDC website, the most common symptoms of the Zika virus are fever, joint pain, rash, and conjunctivitis, which is inflammation or inflection of the outer membrane of the eye. Other symptoms include muscle pain and headache, which last for several days to a week.

About one in five people infected with the Zika virus become symptomatic. The illness usually remains in the blood of an infected person for a few days. Death and severe disease requiring hospitalization are uncommon.

There are no vaccines or medications to prevent or treat the Zika virus, and it is advised to avoid mosquito bites, use air conditioning or window or door screens while indoors, wear long sleeves and pants, and use insect repellent while outdoors. If one does contract the disease, the CDC recommends to get plenty of rest, drink fluids, and take medication given by a health care provider to relieve pain and fever.

The virus has also been associated with an increase in microcephaly birth defect cases characterized by a malformed or smaller head and brain that can result in serious developmental delays. It is possible for babies born with mild microcephaly to show no symptoms later in life, apart from a small sized head. The Pennsylvania Department of Health have urged pregnant women to postpone traveling to any area where the Zika virus transmission is ongoing.

If women do travel to one of the infected areas, they are encouraged to talk to their doctors or other health care providers first and to follow strict steps to avoid mosquito bites during the trip.
The CDC is also investigating the relation of a rare paralysis known as Guillain- Barre to the Zika virus.

There are currently 36 people in the United States, including four pregnant women, who have been diagnosed with the Zika virus in Illinois, Washington D.C., and New York. All of those infected contracted the virus outside of the country.

“The Zika virus is continuing to spread, which raises concern that it could possibly reach the U.S. The worst part is there is no known cure, which could be deadly.” Sophomore Amber Wrotto said.

The Director for the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Disease, Dr. Anthony Faucci, told ABC News that based on past experiences with similar viruses, it is possible for official to begin testing for a vaccine later this year that could determine if the vaccine “is safe and effective.”

Dr. Joon Lee holds processed mosquitos in a tube in his lab at the UNT Health Science Center during West Nile season on June 17, 2014 in Fort Worth, Texas. For now, Lee doesn't believe the latest mosquito-borne virus, Zika, will get established in North Texas. (Paul Moseley/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS)
Dr. Joon Lee holds processed mosquitos in a tube in his lab at the UNT Health Science Center during West Nile season on June 17, 2014 in Fort Worth, Texas. For now, Lee doesn’t believe the latest mosquito-borne virus, Zika, will get established in North Texas. (Paul Moseley/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/TNS)