What is Howler?

By Sara Xibos
Staff Writer

Neshaminy’s own literary magazine, Howler, won the Gold Crown Award from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association for overall excellence. Howler is a literary club that features talented writers, poets and artists in a mini version of a magazine that is distributed once a year.

This year’s topic for the magazine is Falling Apart. At the beginning of the magazine, everything will be very clear and concrete. By the end of the magazine, everything will be more abstract and artistic.

There is a wide variety of subjects that you can choose from. “It’s a very versatile club. We are centered on the publication of quality writing and art form,” Dan Luongo, adviser of Howler, stated. The club also holds live events and open readings.

In Howler, there’s editing, writing activities, writing shares and magazine production. “We hold workshops for students too, so they can work on their styles,” Luongo said.

Recently Howler’s won the Gold Crown Award. It was given to them by Columbia Scholastic Press Association or CSPA. It was an award for overall excellence.

“I think it is not only a creative outlet for students, but also instills creativity in others,” senior Christina van Ham said.

Howler is also always looking for submissions. During this school year, anyone can submit to Howler. Email your submissions to [email protected] or give them to Dicicco in room G209.

Howler meetings are every Thursday from 2:40 to 4 PM in room G209. New members are always accepted. For more information or any questions, ask Dicicco in room G209.