Neshaminy’s Cross Country Remembers Kevin Kiess

By Natalie Pietrowski
Sports Editor

Every meet the Neshaminy girls’ Cross-Country team runs with ribbons in their hair to support awareness for various causes. At their meet against William Tennent, the ribbons hit close to home for many students.; the team ran in memory of Kevin Kiess, a member of the Class of 2016, who passed away this summer. The girl’s wore maroon ribbons as Kiess’ favorite color was maroon.

Senior Alex Jackson, a member of the team was a friend of Kiess. “After suddenly losing a friend to suicide it really opens your eyes to a whole new perspective on life. You just don’t want to see that happen again to anyone,” she said. “It’s about doing whatever it takes to make sure nobody follows.”

Natalie Koch, a captain of the cross-country team, was also close with Kiess. “We need to raise awareness as much as possible to remind people that it is okay to open up about having these feelings,” Koch said.

The team raced on Wed. Sept. 30. despite the rain that poured down. “I’m sure he was watching over us glad we were `repping him and his uplifting spirit, he was always the life of the party,” Jackson said.

Although the girls’ suffered a loss to William Tennent, that race will be remembered forever, as will the memory of Kevin Kiess. “Talk to someone about it no matter how awkward or painful it is. You’re not alone in this world so there is no need to battle depression without help,” Koch stated.

Donations in Kiess’ name can be made to Suicide Prevention at Penndel Mental Health, to raise awareness.

#LongLiveChiefKiess

National Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

Mental Health Crisis 1-800-499-7455

Click here to visit the National Suicide Hotline’s Website