NBA playoffs: Teams begin to battle for championship title

By Kyle DiFrank
Staff Writer

Since the end of the NBA All-Star break, teams have shifted into full gear. Pretenders are being exposed and true championship contenders are breaking out. The best players in the league are showing why they deserve recognition and teams are racing to the playoffs.

While teams struggle for playoff spots, a few teams have held strong throughout the entire season. In the Eastern Conference, the Atlanta Hawks have surprised everyone this season. They sit atop the conference and have been in the lead for a large portion of the year. The Hawks play some of the most team-oriented basketball in the league and four different starters earned All-Star spots this season; Jeff Teague (Guard), Paul Millsap (Forward), Al Horford (Center), and Kyle Korver (Guard). Many people thought the beginning of the season was a fluke, but the Hawks have proven otherwise.

Sitting atop the Western Conference is the Golden State Warriors. They are led by All-Star and three-point contest champion Stephen Curry and All-Star and three-point contest runner-up Klay Thompson. Curry and Thompson combine for the best three-point shooting teammates in the league. Everybody knew Stephen Curry was one of the best point guards in the league coming into this season. Yet Curry has still found a way to surprise everyone this year, as he is a strong contender for the MVP award, given to the best player each season. In the Eastern Conference, several teams seem to be a lock for the playoffs. The Atlanta Hawks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Toronto Raptors, Chicago Bulls, and Washington Wizards all appear to hold commanding leads for their respective playoff spots, with the remaining three spots still up for grabs. In a very competitive Western Conference, the Golden State Warriors, Memphis Grizzlies, Houston Rockets, and Portland Trail Blazers all seem to be safe for the playoffs. The remaining four playoff spots are being battled for rigorously by the Los Angeles Clippers, San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks, and Oklahoma City Thunder, with teams like the New Orleans Pelicans and Phoenix Suns trailing closely behind.

Several players have emerged as leading candidates for seasonal awards such as the season MVP, the Defensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year, and Most Improved Player. I believe Russell Westbrook, point guard for the Oklahoma City Thunder, will win the MVP award, emerging as a leader for the (Kevin Durant-less) Thunder. Senior Rich Laguerre said, “Russell Westbrook should unanimously win MVP this year as he has led Oklahoma City to playoff contention despite missing Kevin Durant for much of the season. He also has been a triple-double machine this year.” Stephen Curry, James Harden, and LeBron James should finish closely behind in the voting. Los Angeles Clippers’ center DeAndre Jordan has emerged as the Defensive Player of the Year; however Golden State Warriors’ forward Draymond Green could win the award with a strong finish to the regular season. Jimmy Butler, forward for the Chicago Bulls, has been the clear candidate for Most Improved Player for most of the season. However, due to Butler’s injury, Draymond Green could take this award. Minnesota Timberwolves’ guard Andrew Wiggins appeared to be the only rookie standing out early in the season. However, Nerlens Noel, center for the Philadelphia 76ers, has outplayed all rookies as of late and has a strong chance of winning the Rookie of the Year award if he finishes this season on a high note. This will definitely be an exciting and competitive end to the season.