Annual winter blood drive returns to Neshaminy

By Rachita Singh
Office Manager

The annual winter blood drive hosted by Neshaminy’s National Honor Society is set to return on Friday, Dec. 19 in Gym 1.

The blood drive is one of the two blood drives hosted by the National Honor Society every year. Students over the age of 16 are eligible to donate blood; however, other health prerequisites also apply. In addition to student donors, members of the National Honor Society volunteer at the blood drive by checking-in donors, comforting them, and providing donors with any other assistance that is needed.

Honor Society President, Jenny Pan, said that on average there are at least 20-25 volunteers every period including the officers who are present at the event all day. “It’s around the holidays, which is a time for giving, and I think it’s really powerful how our student body can come together and help make a difference in the lives of others,” she said.

Senior and National Honor Society member, Terry Warner, ¬who donated and volunteered at last year’s blood drive, described his experience as “a wonderful one.” “It was just a good feeling knowing that you could help someone by doing something so simple and giving something that you create daily,” he said.
Not only students, but even teachers and administrators participate in the annual event. Principal Robert McGee, who donates blood every year, said he does it because, “It’s a way to help and service others. Donating money or time to those in need is important but blood can’t be bought or acquired with volunteering your time. It only takes 15 minutes to save a life.”

Between 250-300 students sign up for the blood drive every year but the actual number of donors lowers as many people do not meet requirements during pre-screening. “Our goal is 300 students. We are one of the largest groups of donors around here,” English teacher and NHS adviser Kim Kelley said. She also hopes that there would be a better turn out this year than last year, when not a large number of donors participated as the blood drive was held on a half-day for Keystones.

According to the American Red Cross, the organization behind the blood drive, a blood transfusion is needed every two seconds and less than only 38 percent of the population is eligible to donate blood. A car accident victim may require as many as 50 blood transfusions and each transfusion consists of approximately three pints. Only a pint of blood is donated by a donor during each visit. Blood transfusions are also required by cancer patients as well as people suffering from other life-threatening diseases.

To sign-up for the blood drive, students can obtain a consent form from tables set up by National Honor Society in Main Street before homeroom and in the cafeteria during lunch periods. Donors are then allotted a time to report to Gym 1 to donate blood.

The entire process could take as long as an hour, while the actual donation only lasts between eight to 12 minutes for regular donors. The donation could take longer for double red cell donors, who need to pass more health requirements. American Red Cross suggests drinking a lot of fluid and having a well-balanced meal before donating so that the blood could flow out quicker, and the donor does not feel discomfort. Snacks are also served for donors after donation.