Girls’ Track and Field: Dasia Pressley turning heads

By Natalie Piertowski
Staff Writer

March 1 brings a new month and excitement for the much anticipated season of spring; but this year it produced unforgettable moments for the winter track team of 2014. Records were broken and dreams became reality at the Pennsylvania Track and Field Coaches Association (PTFCA) Indoor State Championships.

Neshaminy’s Dasia Pressley ran the 200 meter dash and not only placed first, capturing the title of PA State Champion, but also qualified for nationals. With a record breaking time of 24.42 seconds, she is ranked fifth in the entire nation. It is the first time in Neshaminy history a sprinter has done this well.

“It’s a great feeling and something I will never forget,” Pressley said.

Pressure was high at state competition but Pressley kept calm and kept the faith. “I just prayed and remembered that I deserved to be here like every other girl. It still hasn’t really hit me how serious this is,” she said. Pressley also ran in the women’s 60 meter dash and placed third. Her time of 7.66 seconds is currently the new Winter Track record. She also placed thirteenth in the nation for the 200 meter at the 2014 New Balance Nationals Indoor.

It wasn’t just the 200 meter champ who set new records on the track at Penn State; many other competitors gave it everything they had and left it all on the track that Saturday. High jumper Lisa Patterson finished fifteenth overall, with a total height of 1.52 meters. Patterson was just a few inches shy of beating the school record. Junior Alyssa Zukowski also finished the season nicely placing seventh overall in the 60 meter hurdles. With a time of 9.15 seconds, Zukowski now holds the school record.

The 4×200 meter relay team made up of Pressley, Cheyenne Oswald, Alex Jackson and Saloni Hebron finished ninth overall with a time of 1 minute and 45.63 seconds.
Moving from ninth to fifth place in the nation in just one year takes as much motivation as it does dedication.

She admitted that when she got comfortable she wasn’t working as hard as she wanted to. She decided to step things up and take it more seriously.

“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard,” she said, explaining her motivation.

The sprinter is already planning to qualify for outdoor state championships and hopes to win big again. “Work hard, and never get comfortable because there is always someone out there trying to take your spot.” Pressley said.