Kierceton Keller: Breaking into the Broadway scene

By Brianna Spause
Special Features Editor

The curtains opened on her debut performance in “Music Man” with Neshaminy’s Summer Stock program in 2003, a path from which senior Kierceton Keller has never strayed. Losing count at roughly 30 musical productions, paired with seven consecutive years of private vocal lessons, Kierceton has been demonstrating her artistic abilities for the majority of her life.

From yoga to dance, straight dramas to picking out her self-proclaimed “wild outfits”, Keller embraces her talents whole-heartedly. “I feel like I’m more in my element on stage than off. It’s a crazy adrenaline rush that makes it easier to by myself in than in real life.”

Third grade beginnings paved the yellow brick road to Kierceton’s sucesses at the high school. Three of her four years in the Choral program have been spent in the award-winning Select Choir, and have earned her the position of Vice-President. In her senior year, Keller spends all of her electives in the music wing of the building.

Kierceton’s entire high school career has been filled with drama. She started in ninth grade, and has since worked her way up to lead rolls such as Mildred Z. Maxwell in the Drama club’s class production of Done to Death, and Sarah Brown in Neshaminy’s musical production of Guys and Dolls.

Kierceton persues her passion for the preforming arts both inside and outside of the high school walls. She has padded her resume with various shows at the Bucks County Playhouse in New Hope, and has now moved on to work with the Downtown Perfroming Arts Center in Lambertville, New Jersey.

May will host Kierceton’s second appearance in the musical Footloose at the DPAC – which ranks as one of her favorite all time shows. “I have two favorites. I’d say either Footloose because being the lead Ariel was a blast. Those songs were my jam. Or even Chicago because of the scandalous costumes and wicked dance moves!”

Keller’s college plans include studying Musical Theater, hopefully at Montclair State University in New Jersey. Her fellow top-choice schools include Pace University, and the University of the Arts.

Acceptances to other top the theater programs at both Rider and Desales University have proved that no task is too great – including the audition process. “Auditions were so cool, but stressful. You learn a lot, and it really challenges you to use your abilities and come into your element.”

Waiting for acceptance from the aforementioned schools is a simulation of what life will be like when Kierceton enters the acting world. Entering an artistic profession is often scoffed at – and just as often misunderstood.

“You know how some people find math fun? Or their passion is to go be an accountant? No thanks. Theater is ridiculously competitive and I know that. I can’t imagine doing anything else with my life because it’s basically the only thing that makes me happy. Maybe I’m not the next Broadway superstar – or maybe I am, you never know – but I know that I will become the best I can be and work extremely hard because that’s the only way I will fulfill my dreams.”

The opportunities to observe Kierceton’s outstanding abilities will be made plenty in the coming months. She will be performing in Springfest, Neshaminy Idol and the Broadway Night Collaberet between Select Choir and the Roadies. With these, and any performances, Kierceton embraces a wise piece of advice given to her many years ago. “Find what makes you stand out; be a purple cow.”