Safe haven to expand this spring

By Eishna Ranganathan

The high school’s Sanctuary Room served as a safe haven space for distraught students, where they could speak openly with a counselor about their issues. It now has a chance of returning due to a recent article published by Jack Haines in the Letter to the Editor section of the Courier Times.

The Sanctuary Room is especially needed after the unfortunate and tragic deaths and events that Neshaminy students have experienced in early January and February. If the Sanctuary Room was open during these times, it may have helped students cope with the grief of these tragedies. The repercussions – student grief and confusion – are no longer dealt with through a day-to-day support system, but by a crisis to crisis intervention.

“The Sanctuary Room was great because students could come and get immediate assistance. This year our case loads have been huge,” said Jennifer Coe, a guidance counselor at Neshaminy High School.“The whole Guidance Department has been affected by the loss of the room, as well as two other counselors. All in all, it was a phenomenal additional support for students,” Coe said.

During the Tuesday Feb. 19 school board meeting, Superintendent Robert Copeland said money was secured by the Bucks County Commissioners and will be provided to an outside social services agency to come into the high school and work with students dealing with social and emotional issues. This idea is similar to that of the sanctuary room.

Even if the room is brought back, it won’t be to the same capacity as it was in previous years. The program (with the agency) would run for a short period of time. It is planned to be re-opened about this March to December. Depending on the success rate, it will be decided if the program should be continued or not.

“That room was an essential environment for students to be able to have. It was a wonderful support for both students and staff. Anyone who needed assistance with any situation could feel safe and get the help they needed,” said vice principal Lisa Pennington.

Joseph Funk, director of the Bucks County Health and Human Services division, is working with Copeland in endeavors to attempt to restore the Sanctuary Room. He won’t disclose the identity of the agency, as details are still being finalized, but he did say that $50,000 of county money will be used. He hopes Neshaminy would contribute to the effort as well.

“The Sanctuary Room was a gratifying place to be. Whenever students had a bad moment, day, or anything they knew they had somewhere to go. It gave them a sense of security; someone will listen when their guidance counselor was unavailable,” Guidance Counselor Julie Gartner, who previously staffed the Sanctuary room, said.

Neshaminy has received a wakeup call. It is a reminder to not look at the money, rather to look at the life they might be saving.

“[The Sanctuary Room] focused on relationships and building them and contributed to getting a better education since students could figure out life and calm down emotionally and go back to class and continue their day,” said Gartner.