Pancreatic cancer study shows promises

By Julianne Miller
Copy Editor

Pancreatic cancer kills nearly 30,000 people a year, being without a doubt one of the most deadly, unfortunate cancers scientists and doctors have ever tried to treat.

Although there are numerous therapies, surgeries and radiations to remove the cancer, the risk of the treatment is still high because of the concerning side effects such as lack of enzymes, diabetes, and lowered white blood cell count, increasing the chance of further infection, and total termination of the disease is not guaranteed.

However, new study has developed a drug that “can be delivered safely in combination with accurately targeted radiation,” according to an online article via The University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center. Said drug, Gemcitabine, is to be the most beneficial treatment thus far. This breakthrough cure is safer and lacks the high-risk side effects that come along with the other treatments.

Although the common side effects are not in response to Gemcitabine, it has side effects of its own such as nausea, vomiting and excessive weight loss. “More than 40 percent of patients were actually able to gain weight during the course of therapy,” Ann Arbor said in an online article.

“I think this new option is much needed and makes me feel so much better about the treatment because when my mom had pancreatic cancer, she just had one choice, lots of doctor’s trips and she had to deal with that being the only choice. This is definitely a good thing,” Gabby Mannino, junior at Neshaminy High School said.

Eager by the uplifting finding, a team of researchers are set to conduct a trial later this year, with the exact dates undetermined.