Re-Emergence of youth in MLB excites fans

By Vinny Frazzetto
Sports Editor

Baseball has always been a game of proud traditions and rituals, but as of recent years, it has grown into an old man’s game. The element of speed has dissipated more and more as years have passed, and reliance on the home run has grown to an all-time high. However, in the last few years, baseball has been invigorated by younger players.

In the past few years, we have seen players such as Craig Kimbrel, Aroldis Chapman, Bryce Harper and Mike Trout have burst onto the scene. These players bring a fire that is admired by fans, but also a finesse that is seen by players with three times their experience. The pitchers show not only the ability to blow hitters away with their blazing fastballs, but also the ability to keep hitters off balance with plus-breaking-balls. The hitters have shown an ability to be aggressive, but also to show patience in all facets of the game.

Not only are these men effective as young players, but they still have potential that has yet to be tapped into. Things have been seen from these youngsters that are rarely – if ever – seen in over 140 years of Major League Baseball. Mike Trout became the first rookie in the history of baseball to hit 30 home runs and steal 30 bases, while finishing second for the American League MVP award. “They shed light on a new generation, and it’s exciting to watch.” Senior John Thomas said on the young players.