“Alex Cross” dissapoints

By Jack Haines
Op-Ed Editor

“Alex Cross” may be leaving the theaters very soon, so it may seem like a good flick to catch because the theaters will be roomy and the movie may seem good. However, this film should probably avoided in its last week or so of theater shows, for it is a dull and vapid movie; a true time waster.

The movie is an action, detective ‘thriller’ starring Tyler Perry in the lead role as the titular Cross. Cross is a know-it-all and a brilliant and skilled detective. While this seems to be a pretty common archetype in many films, this movie does not do justice to it; as Cross seems to solve anything, even if there is not enough evidence to actually come to a conclusion.

In the movie, Cross is put up against an assassin targeting a rich tycoon, but the assassin goes haywire, and begins targeting Cross and his loved ones. The film hints that the assassin personally hates Cross for unknown reasons, but any sort of back story like this is left unanswered, as are many other questions the viewer is left with.

“Alex Cross” is a mess. Early on subplots are opened up, but left dangling. There is no sort of emotion in the film, as any attempt to make the characters more three dimensional fails. The plot doesn’t make much sense, and the action is not suspenseful.

Viewers should avoid “Alex Cross” as it closes out its run in the theatres.

Rating: 1(out of 5)