Copeland leaves Neshaminy: Heading towards Lower Merion

https://playwickian.com/copeland-leaves-neshaminy-heading-towards-lower-merion/

By Reed Hennessy
Editor-in-Chief

“It is with mixed emotions that I inform you that I have been offered and I have accepted the position of Superintendent of Lower Merion School District,” said Superintendent Robert Copeland in his letter of resignation. Prior to serving as superintendent at Neshaminy High School, Copeland served in various other capacities as an administrator in the New Jersey school system for 33 years, including as assistant superintendent in Teaneck and Newark, principal in Lawrence Township, and as personnel administrator and assistant principal in the Princeton Regional Schools.

During Copeland’s tenure as Superintendent of Piscataway Township Schools, Copeland was named 2007 New Jersey Superintendent of the Year by the Association of School Administrators. Copeland came to Neshaminy during, what now seems like a bad dream, a labor issue between the district and the Neshaminy Federation of Teachers which culminated in the NFT going on strike nearly three years ago.

In a Lower Merion School Board meeting held on May 18, Lower Merion school officials approved the appointment of their new superintendent Robert Copeland to a five year contract with a base salary of 240,000 dollars that will run from July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2020. Copeland started his position at Neshaminy on Oct. 1, 2012 making his tenure at Neshaminy High School about three years. “Over the last, almost three years, together we have accomplished much,” Copeland said in his letter of resignation which is posted on the Neshaminy district website.

“The students and families of Neshaminy School District have benefited greatly from the programs Mr. Copeland instituted during his time here as Superintendent,” said district spokesperson Chris Stanley. Copeland oversaw the introduction of full day kindergarten, increased STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) opportunities, expanded middle school reading and communication courses.

“I thank the many teachers who gave countless hours sitting on committees providing feedback and lending their professional voice to critical decision, and I applaud the many parents who joined in the development of curriculum initiatives because, as we know, a parent is every child’s first teacher,” Copeland said. Copeland also developed a plan that will be implemented in the 2015-2016 school year that will bring world languages back to the middle schools and a 1:1 iPad program for sixth and fifth graders.

“I think the district is in a really good place right now. We’re about to put together a consolidation plan and move forward with some interesting initiatives at the high school, middle school, and elementary school level; Neshaminy is poised to do some great things,” Copeland said. In addition to the implantation of new programs, the district will also be moving forward with a consolidation plan which includes the closure of Samuel Everitt Elementary schools, renovations of existing buildings, and the construction of a new elementary school.

“Mr. Copeland is a highly-accomplished, nationally-recognized school leader who brings a wealth of skills and experience that will serve him well in Lower Merion,” said President of the Lower Merion School Board Robin Vann Lynch in a press release made by the LMSD. “He will provide strong and capable leadership during a time of increasing challenges in public education,” Lynch said.