Rutgers Basketball Coach Abuse Of Players

By Katie Suchodolski

A video of Rutgers University head basketball coach, Mike Rice, pushing, kicking, hitting, throwing basketballs and cursing at players went on the air during an ESPN sportscast on April 2, 2013 and shocked the nation. A coach, someone athletes look up to and parents trust, physically and verbally abusing his very own players.
In November, allegations of Rice abusing his players were brought to the attention of now former university Athletic Director Tim Pernetti by former assistant coach Eric Murdock. Rice was suspended for only three games in December and fined $50,000.

On April 3, after millions of people had seen the video, Rice was fired by the university. Was his termination because he did something wrong, or because his actions became public?

The school board knew about the way Rice conducted himself at practices long before they took any action. AD Pernetti fired Murdock in July 2012for bringing Rice’s actions to his attention, which has caused a new on going investigation of Murdock’s unlawful termination. In this new investigation Rutgers claims that Murdock was not fired, his contract was just simply not renewed.

Strangely, some of Rice’s players are defending their coach. During an interview with NBC Sports, junior forward Wally judge commented on the firing of his coach. “You can’t let those individual moments define what he was, in my past two years, me being an older guy and being under other coaches, I have grown from the moment I stepped in these doors, not only as a player but also as a person because of how he treated me.” Other players such as sophomore Austin Johnson agreed with Judge.

Neshaminy Basketball player, senior Marvin Carr, stated that if Rice was his coach he would no have stayed on the team. “I would not have played, I would have fought him.” This just proves that some, probably most; people would not have taken this situation so lightly.

Even people not one the team who are not associated with the team in any way see no wrong in how Rice treated his players. “It’s symbolic of the wussification of America.” Eric Bolling of Fox News noted.

The University is now close to naming a new head coach. NBC 4 New York has sources saying that Eddie Jordan may be announced sometime soon. Jordan is an assistant coach for the LA Lakers and an ex-Scarlet Knight player who helped the team to the Final Four in 1976.

Hopefully, the lawsuits will end soon and a new coach will be appointed. After the Mike Rice scandal blows over, the future will be looking bright for Rutgers University and their Men’s Basketball team.